tires for 98 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tires for 98 4wd

hi! ive been running toyo extenzas on my stock rims for a while now. im looking for a different tire. i prinarily drive on road but i do go offroad too. i dont go crawling but i do go overlanding. i dont care about ride quality. does anyone have any suggestions? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been happy with my Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, though one of my selection criterion was better than average (for an AT) winter performance. Their offset corner blocks do make them a little less precise in cornering till they wear in.

Any AT tire is going to beat the extensas for off-road grip, but only those with circumferential grooves will equal it for wet road traction, and provide a lesser advantage for cornering (on a top heavy vehicle so that's not as relevant) if that's important (depends on how fast you drive when it rains).

Michelin LTX split the difference between an AT and road tire, if you won't need much off-road traction but still need a "little" more than the Extensas provide, but really they are just a more aggressive looking road tire and for some uses, that would be fine.

The important factors are how much wet road or ice traction matter. If you don't care about road noise then there's a large # of candidates that are a little more or less suited to what matters most to you.

Check out Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. I recently got mine from 4wheelonline.

im thinking about getting the procomp 51 series (15x8) from 4wp as a second set... ehat would be the best budget offroad tire? ik its hard but like under 100 would be amazing but up to 150 per. not looking for a super big tire maybe something slightly larger than oe but nothing major

What tires did you end up buying?

What tires did you end up buying?
i landed a set of open countries in 31 10.50 15 size... couldnt be happier!!!! no more slip and alot more offroad traction (to be expected) handles well overall, pretty quiet, , handles better than i need (im a snail in corners)😅 now i need to refurb the 300k lsd 🙃

Had a set of Open Country AT2's. Great on and off the road although I had a balancing issue with them.

Back