TMH + 3" BL issues?

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
I keep seeing references here and there about TMH and 3" BL.. something about an issue with the steering... is there any truth to this? If so.. what's the details? Was there any fix or work-around for this problem?.... If this is a serious problem.. this is gonna hose my whole project... arg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, I've gone through people's threads about this that stemmed from Mutineer's project.... But I'm not going to be doing these things, a shop will be.. is this something they can figure out without making a fuss about?

the steering extension may rub on the header.

I believe 410fortune had this issue, and has pics in one of his threads.

May rub? LOL how about the steering shaft is IN the same space your header wants to be in, even the factory manifold is in the way

I wouldnt run a steering extension if you paid me

I completely re-figured the way my steering column mounts, the location of the intermediate shaft where it goes through the firewall, I modified my steering quite a bit t to get the clearance I needed

I dropped my steering column under the dash about 1.25" in teh front and 3/4" at the back, this changed the angle of the shaft leading towards the firewall

I then ground out metal in my firewall, so the steering shaft opening was about 2" further down then stock

I built a metal plate to cover the new hole and to re-locate the rubber boot and bushing down and over (down 2", over towards drivers side, 1")
this moved the intermediate shaft over and away from the exhaust enough for it to clear

My steering has also been drilled, a new hole was added about 1" down from the factory hole so the steering shaft reaches without the need for the extender

I also had to mash one of my header tubes in about 3/8", I hated to do that, but it was required IMO

I would NOT ever install a 3" body lift on a Gen II truck, the one I have came with it
Someday I will reduce it to a 2" lift, or get rid of it completely if I can afford the Dixon kit
(long travel no drop brackets)

pics are in my Explorer build thread, I have been meaning to get some more, as I recently did all the fine tuning and replaced the entire steering rack

This was a battle for me, I kept having to move it a bit further and further, with my cam my idle is not exactly smooth, so the engine moves a bit and it was hitting the steering all the time, driving me nuts. I think I moved my steering 3 times before I got it far enough over and down.... it is so nice to now drive it with silky smooth steering, no rubbing and NO BINDING, no dead spots.... worth it all day! Pretty simple to do now that I know whats required too, pics will help you a great deal

Now it clears 100%

glad you popped in here with that info 410 :D

but... my steering extension doesn't rub on my stock manifold ;)

Gavin, that is odd

I know there are changes in the intermediate shaft from 95-96 to 97-98, etc and there are changes to the manifolds from year to year also, so I wonder if that plays a part

IN my Explorer thread you can see pics from how it was setup when I got it (I drove it home and man the extension was HITTING the manifold, causing me to have to really pry in order to steer, not a feeling I like....all the way until now, with 100% clearance. :)

I have intermediate shafts from the 98+ trucks, I was hoping for an easy fix, no go, same issues as my 96 shaft
FYI I am on shaft #3 since I owned it, witht he BL and 33" tires, they wear out QUICK
I am hoping not anymore

there are a few members here with 3" BL and TMH's, I wonder if my truck is the only one that had the serious clearance issues? LOL I doubt it! Section?

I even considered moving my engine up about 1", but luckily I made this work....

FYI it got even WORSE when I installed the 4406 t case
then it got worse again when I replaced the trans mount with a new one

LOL figures, I was trying to make it better

I had my upper steering shaft lengthened instead of continuing to use the BL extension. It was smooth as butter from then on. I have pics somewhere. I'll try and find them.

hmmm... maybe it did rub?
I don't remember noticing it rubbing, in any way, shape, or form...

P1000653.jpg

P1000655.jpg

definitely a squeeze though! :scratch:

2" BL would hurt my ability to run 33's..

I read a long time ago, Bob made a fix???

I might have mis-read something thinking he was talking about This issue when he might have been talking about the issue with the passenger side. idk....

Damn these small lil problems.. they just ruin everything...

It wouldn't even clear if a drilled a new hole to just extend the telescope thing?

Ugh!!!

mine rubs every once and a while, but when i first put it in it rubbed ALOT!! you just have to give it time to """""self clearance""""" itself :D :D

It's simply the angle, isn't it? I see how the offending pipe would hit.... it Looks like it only hits because that long pipe bends outward a little bit at the top??

did anyone find any headers that work with a BL? or can we only run the stock manifolds?

Thanks

Si

did anyone find any headers that work with a BL? or can we only run the stock manifolds?

Thanks

Si

TMH are the only aftermarket headers.
And will always be the only aftermarket headers available.

So basically, when I do my V8 swap, with 3" BL, the only thing I can do is run the TMH without the steering extension? I don't want to have to cut my firewall out and relocate the steering... I kinda want it as plug n play as possible...

Si

Might have to mod the steering in any case since with the Body lift you are still changing the angle of the steering with or without the extension piece in there.

Not true, your forgetting about the ford racing "headers". And who knows maybe someone else will come out with something.

true.
But I thought they stopped making the FMS headers?

and chances of anybody coming up with something now, when the 5.0 is no longer offered in an Explorer, is slim to none, imho.

but as cybergasm said, it can be done, just need to modify the upper steering shaft mounting location on the firewall. 410Fortune has a thred around here somewhere about how he did it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seem to remember reading something about Bob having a set that was adjusted for 3" BL but I can't seem to find any definite answers on it.. anyone know anything?

Back