To 3.3 liter or to 3.0 liter, that is the question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To 3.3 liter or to 3.0 liter, that is the question.

knewblewkorvette

Reaction score
City, State
Anamosa
Year, Model & Trim Level
22 Explorer Platinum 4WD
Howdy,
I'm seriously looking at ordering a 2022 Platinum Explorer and according to my nearby Ford dealership I should be able to order one sometime next week (apparently they are not taking orders currently?). The only additions I was thinking were: Star White, 600A Package, Premium Technology Package, Splash Guards, Floor Liners, and Intelligent 4WD. Currently I'm thinking of ordering it with the 3.3L Hybrid but is this the best choice? Or I could also order it with the 3.0L EcoBoost. Ford lists the 3.0L EcoBoost with 365 HP and 380 ft/lbs or torque. Ford does not specify what the 3.3L Hybrid puts out. Ford also doesn't list the fuel economy of either engine which is important to me. Please give me your impressions of what is the better motor and why. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the hybid is going to be more expensive to maintain when your warranty is out. the hybrd is 23 city 26 highway vs the 3.0 18 city and 24 highway. they hybrid has a bit less hp and tq almost the same as the 2.3. it also gets about the same mpg. so idk if i would pay extra for something that makes about 8 more hp 11 more ft lbs and gets maybe 2 mpg better city same highway as my 2.3. just my 2 cents.

I would evaluate whether your usage patterns would allow you to get much efficiency return from the hybrid. Some people don't see much gain at all from a hybrid given how they use the vehicle.

Howdy,
I'm seriously looking at ordering a 2022 Platinum Explorer and according to my nearby Ford dealership I should be able to order one sometime next week (apparently they are not taking orders currently?). The only additions I was thinking were: Star White, 600A Package, Premium Technology Package, Splash Guards, Floor Liners, and Intelligent 4WD. Currently I'm thinking of ordering it with the 3.3L Hybrid but is this the best choice? Or I could also order it with the 3.0L EcoBoost. Ford lists the 3.0L EcoBoost with 365 HP and 380 ft/lbs or torque. Ford does not specify what the 3.3L Hybrid puts out. Ford also doesn't list the fuel economy of either engine which is important to me. Please give me your impressions of what is the better motor and why. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.
According to the Ford Production Schedule, the final date to order a 2022 Explorer was July 15th.

Peter

Thanks for having me on the forum even though I do not currently own a Explorer. I'm serious about buying an Explorer as my 1997 Expedition's motor is about to die. That sux as the Expedition is near mint inside and out.
Maybe the dealer meant a 2023 model? He called me yesterday and I guess he didn't say what year, just that I'd be able to order one. I'm kind of leaning towards the non-hybrid 3.0L now. I'm thinking I'd have to have the start/stop feature taken out as I'm guessing that would drive me nuts. Honestly, I'm thinking a lot of the features of new vehicles will drive me nuts. Progress I guess.
My current newest vehicles are a 1991,1997, 1999, 1999, and a 2002.

I don't seen it mentioned but if you order the 3.0L Ecoboost it is rated at 400 HP

I don't seen it mentioned but if you order the 3.0L Ecoboost it is rated at 400 HP

The 3.0 Ecoboost is almost the same engine that began in the 2017 MKZ. That one was 350hp in the FWD version, and 400hp in the AWD(A4WD). I'm looking for a blue 2017/18 Black Label MKZ with that engine.

Thanks for having me on the forum even though I do not currently own a Explorer. I'm serious about buying an Explorer as my 1997 Expedition's motor is about to die. That sux as the Expedition is near mint inside and out.
Maybe the dealer meant a 2023 model? He called me yesterday and I guess he didn't say what year, just that I'd be able to order one. I'm kind of leaning towards the non-hybrid 3.0L now. I'm thinking I'd have to have the start/stop feature taken out as I'm guessing that would drive me nuts. Honestly, I'm thinking a lot of the features of new vehicles will drive me nuts. Progress I guess.
My current newest vehicles are a 1991,1997, 1999, 1999, and a 2002.
According to the 2023 Aviator Order Guide, the Stop/Start feature is Standard equipment, not an option. I don't know if the 'chip' situation has changed that in all Ford's vehicles or not. I know that it was made optional on some of its 2022 vehicles. :dunno:

Peter

well the hybid is going to be more expensive to maintain when your warranty is out. the hybrd is 23 city 26 highway vs the 3.0 18 city and 24 highway. they hybrid has a bit less hp and tq almost the same as the 2.3. it also gets about the same mpg. so idk if i would pay extra for something that makes about 8 more hp 11 more ft lbs and gets maybe 2 mpg better city same highway as my 2.3. just my 2 cents.
Why would the hybrid be more expensive to maintain? Isnt the whole idea of the hybrid system that stuff like brakepads and discs clutches and the engine itself would wear less?

I dont get why ford isnt selling the PHEV version of the explorer yet, for me its the perfect fit when it ever arrives.

Why would the hybrid be more expensive to maintain? Isnt the whole idea of the hybrid system that stuff like brakepads and discs clutches and the engine itself would wear less?

I dont get why ford isnt selling the PHEV version of the explorer yet, for me its the perfect fit when it ever arrives.
The hybrid vehicles have two engine systems in them. That means it has all the normal engine parts, plus the EV drive parts, plus a more complicated transmission. The technology for all of that is still young, they are leaning as time passes how to make it better and more reliable. New tech always has more problems with reliability in the earliest models. Give it a few years and those issues will be reduced, but the hybrids will always have more complicated drive systems.

The hybrid vehicles have two engine systems in them. That means it has all the normal engine parts, plus the EV drive parts, plus a more complicated transmission. The technology for all of that is still young, they are leaning as time passes how to make it better and more reliable. New tech always has more problems with reliability in the earliest models. Give it a few years and those issues will be reduced, but the hybrids will always have more complicated drive systems.
I get the more complicated drive systems but hybrid has been around for a while now hasn't it?

imho, i think the reduced wear on the other parts more than makes up for the more complicated drive systems. At least for ca 85% of the people and their use of the vehicle.

Most big or expensive car issues aren't with brakes or common maintenance items. One of the biggest issues with EV's are the expensive repair or maintenance costs, not often or constant, but the big things that come along later. Batteries for example can cost the same as a normal engine to replace, and those have a definite short lifespan.

The world needs to slow down with EV's until we find a lot more electricity, we don't make enough now and that is getting worse with EV growth. Allow the technology to improve, while somehow in an as yet unknown way, we can find a way to produce ten times more total electricity than we do now. That won't be enough long term, but that would cover the elimination of coal and natural gas use, plus double the current needs of today.

We don't have a supply issue here. In fact, we are the 3rd largest exporter of electricity, the majority of which is exported to the U.S. However, with the increase of electric cars, methods of increasing supply are still required.
I don't understand why the braking system in a PHEV would cost less to maintain than in a regular vehicle unless they change to one-pedal driving, the brakes are still required to stop the vehicle.

Peter

We don't have a supply issue here. In fact, we are the 3rd largest exporter of electricity, the majority of which is exported to the U.S. However, with the increase of electric cars, methods of increasing supply are still required.
I don't understand why the braking system in a PHEV would cost less to maintain than in a regular vehicle unless they change to one-pedal driving, the brakes are still required to stop the vehicle.

Peter

Over 80% of all electricity in the country is produced by coal and natural gas. That is a massive supply issue when the political powers are intending to destroy those industries. Until we can produce over five times more than we already can from non fossil fuels, there is a supply issue, now and even more when EV's grow massively in numbers. These are facts, and they are more important problems than battery technology or the charging "grid."

Before you get mad and call this political, and it's not(just facts), I will not add further to this thread. Best regards, I love this country and we are in great pain right now.

Peter
Hybrids and plugin hybrids use the electrical motors to slow down as well as the brakes. For regeneration of energy 1 pedal drive is not a necessity.

I do agree however, many countries won't be able to keep up with the growth of EVs and the power needed in the locations needed.

Having enough power is 1 thing, having enough room on the grid in densely populated areas to handle it is another.

Brakes, really? First replacement pads I buy are from autozone with lifetime warranty, then DIY replacement, a lifetime of brakes cost me something like $40 per front/rear and a couple hours every few years. Rotors, normally about $80 a pair, but I've gotten some amazing deals on amazon and rock auto.

I bet the wear on the electrical motor drivetrain from absorbing the braking energy, will be more expensive to repair in the long run, and less likely DIY so hundreds of dollars more to pay a shop for labor instead of DIY.

Then again I'm not a fan of the Ecoboosts, so roll the dice, if taking stress off of one is going to save money in the long run.

replacement batteries alone cost alot. not to mention all the other systems you have to maintain.

replacement batteries alone cost alot. not to mention all the other systems you have to maintain.
Well, for the past 6,5 years i haven't had any costs to worry about regarding the hybrid system or drivetrain. Other stuff, definitely, but electric motors and batteries usually don't have the same wear as 'traditional' mechanical stuff.

And that you'd have to replace the hybrid battery after 5-6-7-8 years is an old wife's tale. Even the first series of prius have a plethora of cars reaching the 250k mile marker without needing battery replacements. Of course there will always be the one that stands out but on average it ain't as bad as it seems to be perceived here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ The problem I have with it isn't mileage but rather how many years the battery will last. My '14 Explorer only has ~ 15K mi on it, doesn't get driven on salted winter roads if I can help it, intend to (hopefully) get at least the same 25 yrs out of it that I have from my '98.

Will the battery last 25 years? In other industries using Li-Ion, the answer has traditionally been no, that even if kept charged at an ideal level, that they'll shelf rot long before then. If my vehicle (if it didn't have the battery) were worth $5K to me but a replacement battery costs more than that, it doesn't make sense to replace unless I opt for special higher cost insurance to cover the extra value I'm putting into the vehicle.

To me the second decade plus is the MOST important factor. That's when the vehicle becomes least expensive to own. That's when depreciation settles down to a low level, and once below a certain value, I drop the comprehensive insurance coverage.

Back