2022 XLT how to add upgrades that were in the technology package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 XLT how to add upgrades that were in the technology package

speedup

Reaction score
City, State
mckinney
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 xlt
New 2022 explorer owner. I purchased an XLT but it didnt have the technology package. I wish it had because all the upgrades it adds are useful.

Is it possible to purchase any of these parts from the ford parts department and add them?

• Side mirror turn signal LED
  • Wireless charging pad
  • Auto dimming rear view mirror
  • Homelink garage door

I found one youtube video adding the autodimming rearview mirror with homelink, but its a aftermarket gentex part, not ford OEM, and that butchered up wiring harness at the end gave me second thoughts lol.

if any of these upgrades is simply not possible due to harnesses, power, programming, etc please let me know.

thanks much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think that you will have to get an outside mirror from a different trim. It doesn't appear that the XLT has the mirror you want.
As for the interior rearview mirror, I'm not 100% positive but I believe it requires a low voltage charge in order to work and if so, the wiring may not be there in the XLT. Search Results | Levittown Ford Parts
You may be able to just replace the visor with one that has the Homelink buttons but again, The wiring may or may not be there even if it's not used. Search Results | Levittown Ford Parts
The wireless charging pad has received mixed reviews here. Also, the above links are for a 2021 XLT since the 2022 is still very limited in the parts websites.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think that you will have to get an outside mirror from a different trim. It doesn't appear that the XLT has the mirror you want.
As for the interior rearview mirror, I'm not 100% positive but I believe it requires a low voltage charge in order to work and if so, the wiring may not be there in the XLT. Search Results | Levittown Ford Parts
You may be able to just replace the visor with one that has the Homelink buttons but again, The wiring may or may not be there even if it's not used. Search Results | Levittown Ford Parts
The wireless charging pad has received mixed reviews here. Also, the above links are for a 2021 XLT since the 2022 is still very limited in the parts websites.

Peter

Thank you very much for your reply. I purchased the gentex frameless auto dimming mirror with homelink, so that takes care of two of the features I wanted to add, just need to figure out the outside mirror turn signal LEDs and I'll be good to go. Someone has to have done this mod!

Thank you very much for your reply. I purchased the gentex frameless auto dimming mirror with homelink, so that takes care of two of the features I wanted to add, just need to figure out the outside mirror turn signal LEDs and I'll be good to go. Someone has to have done this mod!
Do your outside mirrors have the puddle lamps? It's possible that the required wiring may be there but you'd have to open the mirror to confirm.
I don't know if this may be of any help. Adding factory auto-dimming inside mirror to 2020 XLT

Peter

I looked into many but it is not good news. Unlike old cars/builds, ford does not use 1 harness, so the harness is made specific for that tech. Meaning if you want to add XYZ the plug/harness is not there to support. To add these, you'd need to run your own wire, hack in or replace an entire harness.

Back