• Register Today It's free!

To 3.73, or not to 3.73?

superman5787

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Taurus GL
Okay, here's what I'd like to know. I've got 3.08's in the rear now, and can't stand them. I mean really, the truck is fast... Too fast... But I want FASTER. I'm lookin' for that "Get up and go" that every guy wants. I'd like 3.73's but I'd like to know how much performance gain I'm gonna get, and how bad it's gonna hurt my great gas mileage which isn't really a concern. If anyone can give me an idea, I'd be a happy Superman. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.73 shouldnt hurt your gas milage that much, dont know about performance gains though, should be noticeable though. my friends 95 is a lot faster than mine, we have similar engines (155hp vs160hp) similar tranny (a4ld vs electronic version of the same tranny) similar weight. main difference being i got a 3.08 and hes got a 3.73, and his explorer will kick mines ass(he gets good gas milage too

myfriends 4 runner with 4:30 gears kills my explorer i mean BEATS it in the ground with my 3:27's.

and my other friends moms land rover that thing must have like 2:08s cuz it sucks so bad off the line dang.

Hey is your friends 4-runner supped up? I have ohc 3.55 gears and have smoked at least five 4-runners. Every 4-runner Ive seen has been extremely slow. I test drove like 2 and they were so slow which lead me to get my explorer instead.
Grant-P

I have 3.27's and thinking about the same thing. Swapping in 3.73's. I might not do it though because I have to get the speedo fixed so it will read correctly after the swap. I'm still deciding to do it or not.

hey - no his 4 runner isnt souped up. its stock except a amsoil air filter. it kills off the line just b/c those gears (4:30)

I currently have 3:27 and I am getting ready to upgrade to 32 inch tires. I have some 3:73 i bought from someone on the site sitting in the garage. I want to know if everyone thinks the installation cost (around $600) is worth changing from 3:27 to 3:73. I may wait to find some 4:10s.

ya 3.73 gears are what i got with the towing package. lower gears will give you crap off the line but super highway milage. i am pretty satisfied but i kinda wanted speed and wish i woulda went with the 2 dr manual X with a sohc and 4.10 gears or whatever the highest is that they make. that would be fast. kinda like alec's setup. i like good ole splat
p.s boatsrcool what kinda mileage are you getting?

i still have stock tires like i said, with 3:27 but around town, im getting about 12-13 and on the highway about 16-17

i have replaced a lot too:
plugs and wires
o2 sensor
fuel filter
fuel pressure regulator

i dont know what else will bring it up, unless my roof rack, and the lift, with the air dam taken off helped it get more less aerodynamic, and this is just what im getting. i am a little heavy on the pedal in town.

Back