Re-gearing my 97

Andy97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Frankenstein XLT
Here's the deal,
Over the summer I want to do some serious mods. Of the many things I'd like to do, one is regearing from the 3.73 and limited slip to a 4.10 with LS. I know the rear is not that big a deal but I know that the IFS and how the front wheels are driven right off the transfer case can make re-gearing a '95+ a heck of an ordeal.
I know anything is possible but anything can also cost a great deal. I know a standard re-gear, say on 91-94, is about $1K. I'd like to keep the entire conversion around that.

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHV 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the reason you want to regear? Going from 3.73 to 4.10 doesn't seem worth the money. IMHO

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

I'm hope to a set of tires in the neighborhood of 32 inches in diameter. I also hope to still get some decent gas mileage. If not 4.10 for this application, what would you reccomend?

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHV 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist

with 32 inch tires, go 4.56, and you'll end up with the equalivent of 4.10's in the rear.

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO
4.56 gears/lockright/auburn pro

4.10 is 'right' for 32" tires, but my point is that its such a slight correction for the $1000 or more in cost, I would try some engine mods first. Maybe a catback, K+N, drilled airbox, plug wires, etc. Then again, if money is not an issue, why not get the perfect gear? But what if you want 33's later on? (you will!) Then 4.56 is right! My truck came stock with 31's and 3.73, so while not optimum, I don't see 32's being a bad match for 3.73. at least temporarily. What size tire do you have now?

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

I've got the OEM size 235/75/15. As far as engine mods, I just got the K&N and noticed absolutly no gain in performance nor did I really expect too. I just got the Bosh +4s and need to put them in. I'm going to get the The Splitfire Dual cores in about a month. That's all for now. When I've got more $$ to spend on her, I may go for the exhaust.
Concerning the wheel and tire size and corresponding gears: I was thinking about doing this without re-gearing: Not re-gearing right now because, like you said, it's about a grand to do. Also, I was thinking about stepping up to 16" wheel and 265/75s. What do you think? The problem is that I'm worried that the 3.73 gears will struggle to turn something that big in diameter. That diameter change is pretty large from the OEM 235/75/15.

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHV 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist

Going to a 16" rim won't help any as far as gearing is concerned. All that matters is the overall outside diameter.
I agree it's a big jump from 235's to 32", but I say try it. You'll notice a change in performance, but IMO 3.73's are too low for your 235's. With the 32's, your acceleration will be slower, but your MPG may actually improve. Maybe someone else here has 32's with 3.73.?

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

Andy,
Just to give you a baseline.. We have a 92 with 3.27 gears. We changed them to 4.10's and put 31" tires on. With the 31" tires, 85mph is 3000rpms. For us, this gearing is perfect (freeway speedlimit is 75). If the speedlimit around here was 65 we might have put on the 4.56 but with the 4.56 we would not be able to run 85mph without over revving the motor. You need to look at how fast your want to be able to drive and what type of tranny you have. Once you know how fast you want to drive you can play with the numbers to figure out how fast you want your motor to spin. With the automatic the final tranny gear is .8:1 you can use the calculator on www.4l0.com to figure out rpms at different gear ratios.. (keep in mind a 32" tire is normally only 31.5" tall).. If 4.56 with your top gear and 32" tires will let you run at the highway speed you want then go with it. If not go with the 4.10.

btw.. we paid $1800ish for our regear.. that is $1300 for the new r&p front and rear + labor.. and another $500 for the detroit locker in the rear.

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies
Click Dead Link Removed to see our Explorer Specs

First off I'd like to say thanks to everyone!
I had no idea I get this amount of support! Thanks everyone!
Back to business, 6 times a year, I commute about 4.5 hours each way to school on I-81 in Virginia. I run a little fast, averaging about 80. RPM's for that speed with my current 235/75 donuts are high 2000s to 3000 RPM…..up and down the mountains.
I'd like to keep that up. I was thinking that I could get another complete set of wheels and tires. I'd keep my my current sized road runners on the stock wheels and get some good sized meats for the trails...equivalent to a 32x10.50 mounted on a 15” or 16" rim. This is why I mentioned getting a bigger rim size. I could get approx. a 32x10.50 with a 265/75/16 instead of a say a 32x11.50-15. I don't really want an 11.5" wide tire.
Width is one thing but it's the diameter I'm really thinking about and that's when I thought about re-gearing.
As far as gearing, I'd like to be able to power up the trails with the bigger meats, and cruise up the mountain roads on I-81 at a good speed on the donuts. I guess I can't have the best of both worlds. What do you all recommend now?
P.S. I have the Auto 4 speed tranny with OD.

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHV 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist

Back