• Register Today It's free!

Tonneau Lift Struts

John4615

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sports Trac
Does the 2001 Sport Trac have Tonneau Cover Lift Struts? The ST I have has two bungee cords hanging down on each side and I am wondering if these are used to pull the cover down when the cover is extended on the struts? Right now there is no way to hold the cover up, except to prop it with a bar!. Is there is a company that makes a tonneau strut kit for the 2001 ST?

Thanks

John

Nope, those are used when you have the tonneau cover folded open and they hook onto the bed cleats to keep the opened side of the cover from bouncing and even flipping completely over. Over on mysporttrac.com there was a member that made and sold lift lever struts. Not sure if they still do or not but it's worth a shot.

Now that's funny, midnight. I had no idea what those were used for when I had my factory tonneau cover, in fact I found out the hard way! This was the 1st time I drove with the cover half opened (back side flipped to cab) but I was taking the father in-law to the airport and he just bought expensive fishing rod that he was taking. It didn't fit the bed, I had it poking out the top in the back. Good thing for me he also bought a hard cover/cylinder for his poles. Anyways when I picked up speed all of a sudden you hear a Big Bang. I'm thinking ah **** but no damage to the case and when I was back there inspecting the cover I realize what those bungees were meant for. Could of been worse but lesson learned

Back