TONS of smoke from exhaust. 2015 Explorer 3.5 EcoBoost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TONS of smoke from exhaust. 2015 Explorer 3.5 EcoBoost

afree9060

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
This all started a awhile back, when a turbo went out. I took it to a local mechanic that I trust, and he said it was a bad turbo, but he didn't have time to get it in for repair. I ended up taking it to the dealership to have the turbos replaced. After about $4,000 and a month and a half, they had replaced both turbos, and I got it back. I had the car back and drove it for 533 miles, and it made a horrendous noise, lost power, and started smoking a TON. I took it back to my mechanic, and they said the turbo closest to the radiator was bad. The compressor wheel was all chewed up. I took it back to ford for "warranty work" (they said the turbos and labor had a 2 year warranty.) but they refused to even diagnose it under warranty. I ended up ordering another turbo and replacing it myself. Now, it starts and runs okay, but it smokes a TON. (think smoke screen from a James Bond Movie.) I don't think it is a head gasket because it hasnt overheated, and the smoke is light bluish and has a oily smell. It is doing it consistently, under load or idle. Granted it will be little better if I drive it, until I stop for a few minutes, and then it is bad again.

Could this be residual oil in the charge air cooler or lines? or do yall think it would be something more serious?

Thank you for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This all started a awhile back, when a turbo went out. I took it to a local mechanic that I trust, and he said it was a bad turbo, but he didn't have time to get it in for repair. I ended up taking it to the dealership to have the turbos replaced. After about $4,000 and a month and a half, they had replaced both turbos, and I got it back. I had the car back and drove it for 533 miles, and it made a horrendous noise, lost power, and started smoking a TON. I took it back to my mechanic, and they said the turbo closest to the radiator was bad. The compressor wheel was all chewed up. I took it back to ford for "warranty work" (they said the turbos and labor had a 2 year warranty.) but they refused to even diagnose it under warranty. I ended up ordering another turbo and replacing it myself. Now, it starts and runs okay, but it smokes a TON. (think smoke screen from a James Bond Movie.) I don't think it is a head gasket because it hasnt overheated, and the smoke is light bluish and has a oily smell. It is doing it consistently, under load or idle. Granted it will be little better if I drive it, until I stop for a few minutes, and then it is bad again.

Could this be residual oil in the charge air cooler or lines? or do yall think it would be something more serious?

Thank you for any help!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Knowing what the problem was, I would have left it at the dealership for them to repair it. Diagnostic fees are usually covered by the warranty if the claim is valid. Is there another dealership in the area that you could have taken it to?
If it was residual oil, I would think it would burn off and get better. Because it is bad again after sitting a while, it must be that more oil is accumulating. Just a guess though.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Knowing what the problem was, I would have left it at the dealership for them to repair it. Diagnostic fees are usually covered by the warranty if the claim is valid. Is there another dealership in the area that you could have taken it to?
If it was residual oil, I would think it would burn off and get better. Because it is bad again after sitting a while, it must be that more oil is accumulating. Just a guess though.

Peter
I left it at the dealership for about 6 months after the second time. I called, emailed, and went in person to try and get it fixed. I even called and emailed corporate. To no avail.

I cleaned out all the pipes, and it helped some, then it got worse again. I'm thinking maybe it pulled more oil from the intercooler.

Turbo could be leaking oil.

Back