Top speed for the 5.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Top speed for the 5.0L

I only made it to about 95 before I had to shut her down but there seemed to be alot of room left. Anyone break 110??

MR XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the limiter is set at 104 or 107 (around there). I had it there back in the day when I was 2WD and sittin on 28s. I wouldn't think about doing it these days. Its scary at 70mph.

Shutting her down at 95 was by choice. Thats why I asked if anyone else had gone faster. I couldn't do it.

MR XLT

I took mine up to 120 a few times. Not a 5.0, but I did it with 29s, 31s, and 33s. Steady each time.

im sure with an apten chip she'll do 120

I went 126 on a slight downhill on 32s... far too scary.

i maxxed out my moms 96 with the 4.0 ohv

it hit the speed limiter, not the engines highest rpm....

the engine is not what normally regulates the top speed of a vehicle....

we did 110MPH this summer in my dad's 97 5.0 awd

Well, i don't know if this is a good thing or not. Mine governs at 115. Threw on some 265/70/15 inch tires, and i have almost hit 130MPH.

I know this because i was neck and neck w/ my buddies Honda Accord down a highway, and i asked him how fast he was going (because my speedo is off).

This is lifted two inches via TT/ shackles, and the ride/handling at that speed was very steady, and under control for how fast i was going.

I've done 105-108 in my 4.0 with an apten... I think I could have gone a good bit faster but I chickened out on the country road with 80k shocks I was bouncing like no ones buisness :eek:

Gotta get my rancho's in lol

I am gonna qualify these statements by saying:

I always kept my steering and suspension in very good shape. I had my alignment done at least once a year, balance checked after major offroad runs (the tires spin on the rims if you don't have beadlocks), good shocks, everything inspected regularly, etc.

We don't want someone going 100 in a poorly maintained truck, do we?

our truck's like new in/out including the steering and suspension!

Originally posted by Black Magic
No limit with the Apten Chip I have been above 120 on the straight and empty Highway 44 west of here.

Durign the trip I made to STL I specifically remember that highway. A friends Jimmy got smoked by an SS Camaro :p were rolling along as fast as the jimmy would go (like 98+) and the CEL came on.. bahahah

I know this isnt a explorer, but I got my ranger up to around 97 I think yesterday,( I wasnt exactly staring at the speedo) too scary. It has a 3.0 and is a 4X4. Mine is supposedly governed at like 105 or 106.

i had the speedo past 120 there are no numbers there so i am guessing 125-130:D that is the only thing good about 3.55 gears

138... Got the ticket and the night in jail to prove it

Originally posted by Explorer58V8
138... Got the ticket and the night in jail to prove it

Sounds like fun :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A blast I'm sure.:rolleyes:

Back