Torn Vacuum Hose

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
While working on my ride yesterday I tore one of the smaller EGR vacuum backpressure hoses that attaches to the manifold. The hose is expensive to replace and I am only going to keep this vehicle for another month or two. I can hear the hose leak whistling and the idle is somewhat erratic.

Is there anyway to patch this tear with silicone and a hose clamp? It is right near the nipple flange where it attaches to the upper manifold. I could also buy another rubber tube to attach to the metal hose end.

I am not cheap and would buy a new hose but this is one of those EGR backpressure hoses that is aluminum with rubber attaching hoses. It connects behind the engine and I can't get to it easily.

any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dealer item, metal EGR hose, they are about $25

I seriously doubt any type of patch will hold up to the heat from the exhaust.

now wait reading again you say this is an aluminum hose with rubber ends?
it is very likely you can replace this piece with a high temp rubber hose from the auto parts store for el cheapo...

the metal sleeve or center of the hose being metal may be just to protect it from the heat of surrounding components

Sorry I am not too familiar with the EGR system on your SOHC, but I have replaced the stock hoses with high temp rubber hose from the parts store in the past.

Sounds good this hose actually goes from the intake to the EGR tube- I don't think it see's much heat. I just want to patch it so the air wont come out, causing a vacuum leak.

I would replace it but it is so damn hard to get to the intake tube.

Lazzman said:
Sounds good this hose actually goes from the intake to the EGR tube- I don't think it see's much heat. I just want to patch it so the air wont come out, causing a vacuum leak.

I would replace it but it is so damn hard to get to the intake tube.
After all these mos of consternation your dumping the sport? :mad:
Look at the Jeep SRT8 :eek:
What I don't understand, you got air coming out of the PCV line?

No, No spindle this is my wifes Sable LS 3.0 DOHC.

If I were to dump my X I would get a new V8 and supercharge it, frig dodge I am a Ford guy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I thought we were talking SOHC this whole time based on your profile.......no wonder it didnt make any sense, I am here thinking "oh yeah those hoses are real hard to get too"

Back