Torque App | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque App

The only bad thing about OBDLink is i'll be spending about another $160 for software for ABS(which is no inactive) and trans codes, I'll probably snag it and just use it to monitor fuel and miles per gallon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're looking for transmission and ABS codes, take a few to look at the ForScan app.

An android app that will talk to the ABS, airbag, pats, etc modules is Car Gauge Pro. It's not intuitive, but let me read the airbag PIDs to figure out why I had an airbag fault. Turns out i had a break in the cable to a plug underneath my pass seat for side airbags never fitted on my 01 4door. I cut off the connector and used ten 68ohm resistors soldered in parallel crimped on to the remaining cable. Works great.

Well, i was hoping to run everything off my laptop, but maybe i can check everything via my phone. It'll be awhile before i can afford one, but i'll probably get one after i get plugs and an oil change.

Has anyone tested the Torque app out on 2nd gens?

I just tried the free, Torque Lite app and had some of the meters worked.

What worked - coolant temperature, air intake temperature, timing advance, MAF intake, RPM, Speed/mph, engine load, average MPG, and throttle position.

What didnt work - voltage, O2 sensor volts, Fuel Pressue, Fuel Trims, intake manifold pressure, and fuel level.

Seems to be a fun gadget. :thumbsup:

One thing just occurred to me. OBD voltage, O2 sensor voltage, fuel trims, intake manifold vacuum, and fuel level all work on my 01 explorer. I do have to add the "Ford PIDs" list in the settings menu under "Manage Extra PIDs/sensors"

Also, in my vehicle profile, I have "Use Alternate Header" selected near the end. When I was experimenting with my own PIDs, I realized I needed to have that set. I'm not sure what effect, specifically, it has on the adapter, but it seems to allow the mode 22 extended PIDs to work.

The only bad thing about OBDLink is i'll be spending about another $160 for software for ABS(which is no inactive) and trans codes, I'll probably snag it and just use it to monitor fuel and miles per gallon.

So, I have both a cheap chinese adapter and an OBDLink LX. The OBDLink LX is markedly more expensive and performs just as well as the chinese one. I was expecting more PID reads a second with the OBDLink but I was disappointed to realize it was just as fast as the chinese adapter.

Like I mentioned in another post, the less than $10 Car Gauge Pro can read all the ancillary modules in my 01 without a problem using the ISO9141 protocol/wires instead of the J1850 PWM for the PCM. ForScan on your laptop should interface with this stuff as well. I'd try these two before paying $160 for software you may not need.

One notable feature of the obdlink adapter is the use of a physical button on the adapter to do bluetooth pairing. Meaning, if you leave the adapter plugged in all the time as I do, someone could pair to it if they were in signal range and, if you happened to have the engine running at the same time, potentially interact maliciously with your PCM. But, that's an incredibly rare and unlikely situation.

It's the same as many Chinese ELM327 clones.
Only OBDLink MX has different capabilities, but not really needed for vehicles older than 2010.

As for hacking the bluetooth connection - that's always a possibility. The USB is more secure if that's a concern.
See below picture, showing something funny. I'll let you figure what...

fakerpm.jpg

It's the same as many Chinese ELM327 clones.
Only OBDLink MX has different capabilities, but not really needed for vehicles older than 2010.

As for hacking the bluetooth connection - that's always a possibility. The USB is more secure if that's a concern.
See below picture, showing something funny. I'll let you figure what...

fakerpm.jpg

I like it! If it's actually wired (and why wouldn't it be?) it's way too close to the passenger . . .

Also, see the 8000rpm on tachometer - with engine not running :)

So I loaded the "Ford PIDs" and now I have a lot more functionality, so thank you for that advice.

I want to use a fixed screen to display the app now, rather than my phone. My first thought was a dedicated tablet mounted to run the App. But the mount options on Amazon all have draw backs.

I think a cleaner option would be a dash mounted disply. Would it be possible to run the App on radio display? I think some of them have bluetooth. But do any of them support Android so that they can run Torque?

I've considered getting the app, but it doesn't look like it can monitor oil pressure, which is what I was after. I guess considering the factory sensor is just a switch, I shouldn't be surprised.

There is no engine pressure sensor on Explorers, just a dumb switch (5PSI).

In pre-1985 engine there was a real sensor, but people got upset when saw the real pressures they got, so Ford put a switch instead.

Which is why I haven't bought it yet :) I'll probably come up with a temp and oil psi gauge so I can monitor it.

Melon, is a nice tool for the price. $25 for the adaptor, $5 for the app. Can't go wrong.

I found that my throttle position is only 85% when the pedal is on the floor. I also found out that I will get a handful of misfires in cyclinder 1 when I first start it up after letting it sit for a weekend. I found out that my 190 degree stat works perfectly, that my transmissions run around 170 degrees on the highway, that the bump/clunk I feel coming to a stop is my transmission as I can see the torque convertor speed jump for a split second from 20-30 to 100-200 and then back down at the 2-1 downshift, that I have no engine knock, no vac leaks, voltage is normal, MAF function is normal, and engine speed at idle is normal.

If you have the ELM327, get Forscan at www.forscan.org. It gives you EVERYTHING!!! ABS, ECU, TCM, PATS, and others. Torque is great for ECM, but Forscan gives you everything else. My laptop is older so I needed to buy a $7 Bluetooth adapter for it. BTW, Forscan is FREE!!!

Back