SOLVED software issue fuel trim -100% O2 0.000v | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOLVED software issue fuel trim -100% O2 0.000v

shadow460

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Expedition
I don't know how many of you, like me, use real time data to solve problems. Having all of it available certainly helps.
FORSCAN can read O2 and fuel trim data on my 1998 Explorer whereas my Actron and Bosch scanners cannot. Those scanners can read the same data from my 1998 Expedition with no problem.
The easiest way to explain it is those scanners just aren't listening on the right channel.
First step is to purchase a Bluetooth code scanner. I found the BAFX unit recommended on a Mustang Cobra forum and bought it for under $20.
Next, grab the FORSCAN Lite app from the Google Play Store. Also grab Torque and Torque Pro while you're there. You're looking at perhaps $15 worth of apps. If you don't have an Android, buy a TracFone one for $50 and download those apps over WiFi.
Install the apps. Torque is good and can show you a few things like manifold vacuum (which is computed, not measured directly, I think).
Plug in the OBD-II reader, turn on Bluetooth on the Android and open FORSCAN.
Tap the plug icon in at the top of the screen. FORSCAN will connect. Check it's connection by tapping "vehicle" and verify that your vehicle is listed.
Back out of that and tap "table" on the main menu, then tap the gear icon at the top. Tap the bar that says "select PID's in module", then tap PCM.
Tap the + icon and a list of parameters will show up.
Scroll down the list to the SHRTFT1, SHRTFT2, LONGFT1 and LONGFT2 parameters, then tap the boxes next to them to put a green check in them.
Scroll to the O2Sxx parameters (the ones that say "status") and check the boxes next to them also.
Hit the back icon on the Droid. A table with your selected parameters will show up with red X's in the boxes next to them. This is normal.
Tap the green car icon in the upper left, then tap the triangle shaped play icon near the upper middle.
Voila! Real time fuel trims and O2 sensor voltages! This also displays some kind of fault status on the O2 sensors.
FORSCAN can also pull body codes and codes from most, if not all, the modules present, very useful for that pesky c1155 ABS code!

Thanks. Your post seems sort of a lost forum placement, when not in the same topic that you solved?

$15 in apps? Forscan Lite for android or iOS is $5 and the standard license for Windows is free. IIRC Torque Lite (free) can also do fuel trims, but I doubt it can do the ABS.

You can get an old (anybody's) Tracfone smartphone for $10. People are literally throwing them away because they can get a new phone with a year of service as cheap as getting a year of service for their (now) old phone.

Then again, who doesn't have either a phone, tablet or laptop today?

I never posted about it before. I googled it several times but kept getting directed to a couple of common vacuum leaks. I've replaced intake gaskets and the hoses are good, what directed me here was a pending PO171 PO 174 combo that I believe was caused by a clamp I didn't tighten up on the intake tube.
There is a spot in FORSCAN for ABS, it showed system normal (mine is), but that could just be a default in the app.
Keep in mind, too, this is just how I did things, if there's a cheaper or easier way to get the trim readings, I'm all ears. Less time and money spent on apps and devices means more to spend on quality parts... or beer.

Back