• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter & froze engine

KGauger

Reaction score
City, State
Carlton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Mazda Navajo
I bought a '92 4x4 Explorer for parts. 4.0L engine and A4LD transmission. The engine is evidently froze and I need the transmission. I have removed the transfer case. I got to the part where I removed the starter to access the torque converter nuts on the flywheel. I removed the radiator for better access and have used a long 1/2" handle and socket to try to rotate the crankshaft pulley. I pull in a clockwise direction and the engine won't budge. Can you pull the transmission without disconnecting the torque converter from the flywheel? Is it possible to loosen the bell housing bolts and slide the transmission back to access the torque converter nuts?

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to mess anything else up.

If you still cant rotate the engine and you absolutely need it to, try removing the plugs and spraying some PB-Blaster, Liquid Wrench or WD-40 into the cylinders.

PB Blaster will free up everything too. just give it ten min to set in and watch that engine turn over, lol. its one of the best inventions ever.

Back