Torque Converter Rattle? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter Rattle?

Is just holding the cams with vice grips fine? Do I need any special tools to get pulleys off?
The chain,cams,sprockets have fixed timing relationship indicated by markings - you can time it correctly from any position you can clearly see the marks.
PUleys are easy. Fan clutch can be a little tricky - Youtbe and Google are your friends.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2002 had the torque rattling noice for almost 90000 miles no problems

I've had the rattle for over 60k mi. Did timing chains with no fix. 170k now on the explorer. Only issue that concerns me is after putting it in drive in the morning i have to wait 10 seconds before it will actually move. Good for the rest of the day after that. Just wont move right away if I put it in drive.

I have a rattle sound only at idle in DRIVE at stop light. If I put it in NEUTRAL while sitting at the light the rattle goes away....put it back in D and it starts to rattle but only.

I don’t understand the rattle. Mine went away, which is not a good sign. Using Forscan I can see that the trans is shifting as it should, including overdrive. With all specs the same as my ‘05 Explorer. I now have 221k on it.

I never did figure out what was wrong with mine. I don't know if it was coincidental but the trans I actually went completely out on me totally out of the blue while I was driving one day. I pulled the trans and tore it down and that Infamous check valve in the pump must have seized up because the pump was locked up and when I got down to the back end of the transmission, all the internal guts were completely self-destructed. Again, could be coincidental, but those 5r55's we're apparently known for having a design flaw in the pump check valve.

I have the same issue. I nailed it down to the otrque converter by listening through a piece of hose. It absolutely cannon be anywhere else.
I also determined the noise is once per rev. (i have go workers who do vibration and noise analyis)

In my reading of many forums it appears that the only possible cause would be a loose bolt or a cracked flex plate.

Apprently there are no parts in the TC that would make a rattle.

Does this make sense?

I dont claim any actual expertise.

The converter is notorious for rattling noise in the early years of that unit. And yes there is plenty of pieces to rattle in a converter.
3EB26CB5-8AC1-44CF-A54A-DF7F454117E2.jpeg

That sounds like a Torque Converter Clutch Damper spring has broken free and its loose rattling at low RPMs. That particular part is inside the Torque Converter (the Clutch Assembly) and that's a sealed unit so you have to replace the whole thing. I would instead of having a shop rebuild it. Cheaper to buy a new one the cost is going to come from either dropping the Trans or sliding it back. Good Luck

Back