Torque Convertor Seating Problem NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Convertor Seating Problem NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!

JAMartinJr75

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
Hey,

I am glad I found this site, I am on F150 online for my Truck, I need a ton of help. I have a 99 XLS 4x4 4.0 OHV motor with the 5r55e in it. We have had the engine rev when shifting between 1-2 or 2-3 gears and redlines when WOT. I dropped it all out and went to put it back together, with a rebuilt tranny and rebuilt convertor and hit a snafuu. I CAN NOT get the Convertor on the tranny properly. I tried with two others with Lots of experience and CAN NOT get it to seat on the inner shaft or on the flat spot where the pump slipps on it. I tried the old but cant get it on either. I tried to to cross them old on new. I micrometered everything, counted splines and so forth. There is 1/2 inch I can not close up. The converter mounts flush to the fly wheel, but there is 1/2 gap between the housing and the motor. I looked in the converter and see a silver ring around the center set of splines, the small hole, where the shaft is marking it up. It is like the inards are sagging and not lining it up properly. I tried with and with out fluid in it and horizonal and vertical. It has 4 people with a combined 50 years of mechanical experience dumbfounded. I have no furhter ideas, besides TNT and a blasting cap. Thank You in advance for you help. Just looking for an idea or the trick. Thanks.

Back