TORQUE MONSTER Headers GROUP BUY | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TORQUE MONSTER Headers GROUP BUY

Some people are going to drop out, no doubt about it...that's just the way it goes. But in my discussions with Al and Erica I discussed numbers from a dozen up. I guaranteed that I would be able to round up at least 12 interested buyers to make it worth their while, and if I got more we would discuss lowering the price even more. So far we have 28 names on the list, and as I mentioned, I will continue taking names for a few more weeks. Then I'll get in touch with everybody on that list and figure out who's still in or not, but I'm sure we'll still have a minimum of 12 guys. I'll be talking to Erica tomorrow and will post an update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a lot of people (myself included) want to know what the price and time frame will be before committing fully. ;)

Al and Erica were closed for the holidays but get back tomorrow, and as I posted earlier I will be speaking to Erica then. Like I just said, I told them that I would get at least 12 guys together, and hopefully more. I did that and now they have a real number to deal with and know that I'm not just yanking their chain. Al wanted some time to decide how much of a reduction he could give us and asked if I could wait until his holiday was over before he gave me the amount. That sounded fair to me since I still wanted to see what kind of response I would get on here. After my conversation tomorrow I will be able to give everybody the price and an idea of production time. And remember, the more guys we get together, the more that price can still drop.
Like it says in my first post, I figured on taking names until the end of this month. That gives more guys a chance to get in on this, and to get their money together. I totally understand if guys who already have the money now are eager to get started and don't want to wait for the rest of us. That should be a minor detail and I'm sure that Al will be happy to start taking orders asap, but I will also discuss that with Erica.
Anyway, I will know more tomorrow and will post the news.

I'm definitely in, I've been wanting these for 2 years and finally had the funds as soon as they were no longer available. Not missing this chance.

As you are compiling a database of interested folks you may also want to keep track of who needs them imeadiatly and who can wait to the end of the run. I can wait till the end of the run (I already posted earlier that I wanted in). I don;t have any immediate plans to install them, just want to get in on a good price.

As you are compiling a database of interested folks you may also want to keep track of who needs them imeadiatly and who can wait to the end of the run. I can wait till the end of the run (I already posted earlier that I wanted in). I don;t have any immediate plans to install them, just want to get in on a good price.

+1 My V8 build for my Ranger is going very slow and I can wait until the end as well.

waiting for a price before fully committing but I am absolutely interested. I can wait till the end

i was already a "probably" pending a deal worth buying... but i can wait until end of run as well...

I think a lot of people (myself included) want to know what the price and time frame will be before committing fully. ;)

This is my main concern. I would be buying these with my tax return money, so if we are ordering these at the end of this month, it for sure will not be there by then. I want, and will get these headers, but if I cannot afford it, I am not eating ramen to get them.

Okay, so here's the latest. I spoke to Erica today and she said that Al is definitely going to give us a 'really good' deal but he needs some info from us before he will actually know how much of a reduction he can do. He also gets better prices when he buys his material in larger quantities and that's what will determine our price. He needs to be sure that we're for real and approximately how many headers we will be ordering, and giving him our user names on this site simply isn't going to cut it for him. So he asked me to get the following from you guys...
-First and last name
-phone number
-email address
-build date of truck
I apologize that I still couldn't get an exact price yet, but I am trying.
So this is where we seperate the boys from the men. I'll PM everybody on the list (or you can PM me with your info) and we'll see who's serious and who's not. Whether Al or Erica will contact you or not, I have no idea. By giving me your info you won't be obligating youself, Al will just feel more confident in giving us a reduced price if he has some real names and numbers. I certainly don't expect anybody to confirm 100% until we have an actual price, including myself.
I should also mention that I talked to Erica about some guys wanting to order before the deadline. I suggested that we place our orders individually as each of us are ready and that Feb.1st be the last day to order to receive the discount. Whether they wish to still take orders from stragglers after that date and still honor the discounted price will be completely up to them. When we order, we'll simply have to tell them that we're with this group, or give them a keyword or discount code so that they'll know to give us the reduced price.
Again, sorry that I don't have a real number for you guys yet, but I will be getting in touch with all of you very soon.

-Terry

Good News! I just spoke to Erica and I know this will definitely reduce the 'ouch' factor a bit. When you order your headers you will only have to pay 50% up front and then the balance upon shipping. Production time is estimated between 3-6 weeks since it's a pretty big order but that will give guys some extra time to squirrel some more money away and convince your wives why this is such a great idea.

*And keep PMing me your personal info guys, if I haven't already gotten in touch with you. The faster I get that list to Al and Erica the better.

-Terry

convince your wives why this is such a great idea.

On THAT note: I haven't been able to find any results on mileage before/after the swap, and all TMH.com says is 3.4 mpg over "factory highway mileage rating" of 18. I've gotten 23 on a highway-only trip (driving very conservative; my truck is stock) so take that as you will. Maybe(?) an improvement of 0 - 3 mpg is "fair"?

Right now I drive about 155 mostly highway miles per week just to/from work and get 16+ mpg consistently. Lets use 100 miles per week for a round number, and gas at $3.15 for 52 weeks of the year:

Mileage------------annual "savings"
16.28---------------------$0
17.28-------------------$58.23
18.28------------------$110.08
19.28------------------$156.56

Using my distance driven and my higher cost of gas (3.63 a gallon) an increase of 2mpg *could* save me $200 a year, not including all the times I'm going to be towing my pop up this summer.

Now I'm not saying this is going to line our pockets with cash from gas savings, but maybe it'll help us convince "the mrs" :D

Oh PS, amazing work organizing the group buy, it's going to make a lot of people very happy I'm sure.

So basically it doesn't make sense to not get a set. They'll pay for themselves. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And thanks for the props 5.0Kev. Much appreciated. Did you want to get in on this too? I don't have your name on the list.

wish i could give a before and after mileage on them, but i put them in when i did my 5L swap. heres what i can tell you. going off the message center (which is actually pretty accurate) a trip i made this summer, i was getting 18-19 mpg doing 75-80mph with the a/c on. this is also with a stock fox mustang cam, and a 4406.
why dont you ask for a bracket price. in other words, if you have 15 people, this is the price you will have. if you have 20 people, this is the price you will have, ect.
i am kinda interested, even though i dont need, but wouldnt mind having a set if i ever do a ranger, or another explorer.
another thing i will throw in, the reason why they would need to know the build date is for egr purposes, but also the gt40, and gt40p heads have different spark plug angles.

Hey Vroom. Glad to hear that you're getting better mileage with your TMs. That gives us all something to look forward to. Besides that how do like them?
As to the other stuff you were saying, go back and check out the thread. That's pretty much what we're doing. The more guys we get on the list the cheaper they will be, and I explained in the first post that we needed to know the build dates because of the differences in EGRs. Thanks for bringing it up again though, and I'm glad that you specified the differences in the heads. That I did not know.

Okay, that was delicious. Now how the hell am I supposed to wait until spring to install mine? And then just when I thought your videos couldn't sound any better I heard it...the chirp. Gorgeous truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock exhaust

I had my truck in the shop before i shipped it up to Alaska and convinced my mechanic to put my set in for me while he had some stuff apart... He said his lead guy had about 10 hours in it from tear down to install - but he did a bunch of other stuff in between smoke breaks and fiddling with my Mounty.

But even with stock exhaust and 222k on the odo - My v8 sounds like a new beast... My main thing i took notice to is the rapid acceleration to highway speeds - it picks up with low-end torque and maintains constant hp all the way to 4th gear - before it WITHOUT QUESTION tended to peter off after getting to 3rd...

What im saying, is... you wont be disappointed... I think exhaust is called for next. Magnaflow...:salute:

Back