TORQUE MONSTER Headers GROUP BUY | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TORQUE MONSTER Headers GROUP BUY

Al & Co. just need to bite the bullet and invest in inventory, the headers are obviously a good seller. And to back up what Turtle said, they should also become a forum vender and hook member up with a discount, considering WE (the enthusiasts) are their best advertiser.

Not trying to tell a man how to run his business but damn, this BS has gone on for too long now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al & Co. just need to bite the bullet and invest in inventory, the headers are obviously a good seller. And to back up what Turtle said, they should also become a forum vender and hook member up with a discount, considering WE (the enthusiasts) are their best advertiser.

Not trying to tell a man how to run his business but damn, this BS has gone on for too long now.

I am not fond of their business either. How can you not email or call people back in a reasonable time frame? I am starting to feel againt their product. I myself work for a small business, 6 employees and we do over 6 million dollars a year in sales with about 35 to 40 percent markup and we never have less than the best customer service.

Put me down for a set!
1999 Mercury Mountaineer

This may come as a shock but I never heard back from Al or Erica today. I emailed and called but no luck. It's frustrating as hell but I promise that their phone WILL be ringing the moment they open their doors tomorrow morning...again.

And to you newer guys wanting to get on the list, PM me with your info.
First and last name, email address, phone number and the build date of your truck.

Anyone got the skills to copy these? I mean, with the pace they move, you think they'll ever come after you for patent issues? Are they even patented?

I've got a 5.0 Mustang too and headers for that are a dime a dozen and only a quarter of the price. I wish it was the same for our trucks but as far as I know there aren't any other alternatives for the 5.0 Explorers and Mounties besides the Torque Monsters, so I'm really not surprised that they're dragging their ***** at Al's. If they had some competition it would be a totally different story but they know full well that we have nowhere else to go so they also know that they can take their sweet ass time.
All I can do is stay on top of them so that's what I'm going to do. Tomorrow's another day.

Anyone got the skills to copy these? I mean, with the pace they move, you think they'll ever come after you for patent issues? Are they even patented?

I have thought many times "DAMN, theres 30 people on the forums that want these headers!" I can have them copied, and make them cheaper. The problem is, as soon as money is actually requested, about 70% of the hands would go down. Thats why there arent any other 5.0 headers for the expo's and rangers..

So I was thinking that Borla is not too far away from me. I wonder if they would be interested in making a new header. That would be stainless steel and they already have a full distribution network. With the potential competition having a nice high price point and far less than desirable communication skills........ Maybe I'll give them a call.

Hey Skurz, how many people have sent you their contact info so far?

Yup, Borla is in Oxnard, about an hour away from me:

http://www.borla.com/contact/

About 10 minutes from my X-wifes house. I can drop off my Mountaineer when I go pick up my son.

I took the liberty to send the following to Borla:

I would like to attempt to get Borla to develope a header for the 5.0 liter second generation Ford Explorers. There is currently 1 company that is making these 1 at a time, they are very difficult to deal with and the headers come in 2 varieties depending on the EGR type.

I am part of a group that is attempting to set up a mas buy with this manufacturer and they have been very unresponsive. I do live local to your Oxnard facility and could provide a 1997 Mountaineer (Mercury's exact copy of the Explorer) for fitting and development purposes. I have a 1996 Explorer that chould be used also.

There is a good market for this exact header. Beyond the large volume of 5.0 liter Explorers/Mountaineers that were manufactured from 1996 to 2001, swapping this exact motor in to other applications is very popular and in many instances would use the Explorer headers for the swap because the Mustang headers do not clear correctly.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, commenct or concerns about this idea. I beleive that I could probably put together an initial order for 20 or more units if the price was at or near the $600 level.

I took the liberty to send the following to Borla:

I would like to attempt to get Borla to develope a header for the 5.0 liter second generation Ford Explorers. There is currently 1 company that is making these 1 at a time, they are very difficult to deal with and the headers come in 2 varieties depending on the EGR type.

I am part of a group that is attempting to set up a mas buy with this manufacturer and they have been very unresponsive. I do live local to your Oxnard facility and could provide a 1997 Mountaineer (Mercury's exact copy of the Explorer) for fitting and development purposes. I have a 1996 Explorer that chould be used also.

There is a good market for this exact header. Beyond the large volume of 5.0 liter Explorers/Mountaineers that were manufactured from 1996 to 2001, swapping this exact motor in to other applications is very popular and in many instances would use the Explorer headers for the swap because the Mustang headers do not clear correctly.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, commenct or concerns about this idea. I beleive that I could probably put together an initial order for 20 or more units if the price was at or near the $600 level.

I wouldnt have started out with a price in that situation. but good job getting the ball rolling. are both of your fords different egr types so they would get one with the non p heads and one with the p heads? i Can not speak for others but i was still hopefull of being able to spend less than 600 with the group buy of these..

The customer is your business. I really hope the folks at TM are reading this thread. The information in here is gold to them.

The customer is your business. I really hope the folks at TM are reading this thread. The information in here is gold to them.
Apparently NONE of the above. :(

i Can not speak for others but i was still hopefull of being able to spend less than 600 with the group buy of these..

Agreed... Could have started lower, but thank you for getting the ball rolling!

I wouldnt have started out with a price in that situation. but good job getting the ball rolling. are both of your fords different egr types so they would get one with the non p heads and one with the p heads? i Can not speak for others but i was still hopefull of being able to spend less than 600 with the group buy of these..

You people really underestimate the cost of small sales volume parts. 20 or 30 headers is nothing.

A while back, I talked to the guys at MSDS, and they said they would only make them in runs of 20 or more, and the initial cost for a run of 20, including the prototyping cost would have ended up around $750 a pop, and around $650 for subsequent runs... for uncoated, mild steel headers.

I swear, you guys are getting a pretty damn good price when it comes to the build as needed headers Al does. I'm sorry that there are no options available for a cheap, uncoated, poorly made piece of junk header, and that no one will ever buy headers for 5.0 explorers in large enough volume and regularly enough for them to be assembly lined at a low cost.

Good point made above. Lets everyone settle down and let this thing play out. We didn't have anything before, maybe we will get something decent here. Give skurz some breathing room to make the deal.

Find makes a really good point, and after just hanging up with Al (yes, I actually spoke to him) I believe that even more. He broke down what it takes to make a set of these headers and there's a lot of cost and time involved. Just the ceramic coating alone is $150.00 per set, to give you an idea. There's no doubt about it, these are a top quality product...and my favorite thing about them is the fact that they're hand made in the US, not China. Al also said that retailers like Summit and Jegs etc. have approached him to carry the Torque Monsters but he declined because they would probably sell them at about $1000.00 a pop, and he wanted to keep the price as affordable as possible for the average enthusiast.
Obviously, anybody following this thread has contemplated buying themselves a set of TMs, and probably would have at some point while paying full price, so whatever discount Al is willing to give us is gravy. Like even I stated earlier, he has a monopoly on 5.0 Explorer/Mountie headers and knows full well that if we want them we'll have to pay whatever the cost, so it's pretty cool that he's willing to negotiate a discount at all.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I know how much the discount is yet? Almost forgot. But I'm kinda sleepy right now so I think I'm going to go take a little nap. I'll let everybody know when I wake up...or maybe tomorrow...or the next day.

Find makes a really good point, and after just hanging up with Al (yes, I actually spoke to him) I believe that even more. He broke down what it takes to make a set of these headers and there's a lot of cost and time involved. Just the ceramic coating alone is $150.00 per set, to give you an idea. There's no doubt about it, these are a top quality product...and my favorite thing about them is the fact that they're hand made in the US, not China. Al also said that retailers like Summit and Jegs etc. have approached him to carry the Torque Monsters but he declined because they would probably sell them at about $1000.00 a pop, and he wanted to keep the price as affordable as possible for the average enthusiast.
Obviously, anybody following this thread has contemplated buying themselves a set of TMs, and probably would have at some point while paying full price, so whatever discount Al is willing to give us is gravy. Like even I stated earlier, he has a monopoly on 5.0 Explorer/Mountie headers and knows full well that if we want them we'll have to pay whatever the cost, so it's pretty cool that he's willing to negotiate a discount at all.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I know how much the discount is yet? Almost forgot. But I'm kinda sleepy right now so I think I'm going to go take a little nap. I'll let everybody know when I wake up...or maybe tomorrow...or the next day.

lol at the last part.. but on a serious note you should let us know some prices soon because you know hands are going to start dropping as people will not want to pay that much. so my guess is you will have to talk to al again saying okay now this is how many people we have confirmed at that price and with a few less people fully confirmed he might not agree to sell at that price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not even in this group buy and I want to know!!

Back