Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

CBoug76

Elite Explorer ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dracut, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
Torrsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Torsion%20Bar%20101.jpg

Torsion%20Bar%20101a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Iv'e been told that by cranking up your torsion bars you offset the camber on your wheels causing them to wear more on the inside then the rest of the tire.

Curious if there is any truth to this ?

kinda confused on how to do this, do you jack up the vehicle, just crank em with a ratchet, how do you know when to stop?

how much lift did you get cranking it three times?

Originally posted by Ace
Iv'e been told that by cranking up your torsion bars you offset the camber on your wheels causing them to wear more on the inside then the rest of the tire.

Curious if there is any truth to this ?

This is true with any lift. You will need to get an alignment afterwards.

if i want to lower it do i just crank it the other way?...and do the u-bolt + block thing on the back? Sorry if these are questions that you've answered tons of times, but i've only been researching 3 days.

My 2000 ranger has a torsion bar lift and the front cv joints are making noise when I turn. The dealer told me that it was because of the torsion adjustment threw the axle angles out of wack, any body heard of this? The truck only has 20000 miles and the axles shouldn't be wearing out allready.

Yes if you crank them higher than approximately 2" you do make the CV Joint angle too big and it will cause premature wear of the CV Joint.

By cranking the torsion bars are you lifting the entire vehicle or just the front?

front

Cranking the bars only raises the front. The rear can be lifted to match by using Warrior shackles (WAR-153) or add-a-leafs.

Does this torsion twist work on 2wd? Would this be a good leveling technique, because my front end sits about an inch lower than my back end?

Yes it works on 2 and 4 wheel drives. And yes the adjustment bolt was put there to allow the vehicle to be leveled so you are using it for the correct reason.

CAn someone make directions on how to do a Torsion bar lift. that would be great. THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sure this has been posted numerous times. Do a search for "Tortion Twist".

Good luck.....

Back