Solved - Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for! | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Warrior WAR153s are the most common name branded ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Starting to noodle on this + new shackles in the rear... Does anyone have a recommendation on shackles? Not looking for a crazy big lift, maybe 1"-1.5" Hoping to be able to fit some larger tires too.
as mike said warrior shackles are the best imo. iirc RTZ on amazon makes shackles too for these 1" or 2" advertised lift got em on mine time will tell how they hold up. got them bundled with my torsion keys. (my bolt was crankrd all the way and still only got 1" and im not rrsdy to get new bars just yet)

So if I lower it by 2 inches I need to get an alignment? And would I need the camber bolts too or not ?

So if I lower it by 2 inches I need to get an alignment? And would I need the camber bolts too or not ?

Yes, and yes, both are required for 2" of change.

Bilstein makes nice shocks for a lowered street Explorer, I have them on my Mountaineer. Lowering much doesn't give you many options besides the normal height or off road stuff.

yep bilstien is good. as far as lowered shocks KYB monomeax is also good a tad less expensive than the bil's iirc

Would also recommend Bilstein shock's, B4600 the cheapest way to get a "strong" feeling.
But there are also some negative points with them,
the paint is very thin,
they are not serviceable,
they come without boots (but available),
IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

on top of the pistonrod is a Allen socket to hold the rod while tightening
the nut. Some fast rust is going on and you have problems to loose
the nut after a ammount of time.
Putting a plastic nut cap with some grease prevents this.

I would order this camber / caster Kit for a propper allignment.

Regards Wolfgang

Back