Torsion bar bolt 110mm replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion bar bolt 110mm replacement

Reaction score
City, State
austin tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 2 door Explorer Sport
This might be a stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer. I'm getting ready to change the stock torsion bar bolts out for the 110 mm bolts. Do I just back out the stock bolts all the way & screw the new bolts in, or are they under pressure from the torsion bars? I don't want any parts flying off haha. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

If you jack up the front end so that the torsion bars are no longer under load, you'll have a easier time removing the torsion bolts. Just make sure get the right bolts.. Fastenal carries them.

M12x1.75x100 mm 8.8 -is what I have. They seem plenty long enough(4") to get a little extra lift. Make sure to grind the threads off about 3/8" to 1/2" on the tip. Make them look like your stock bolt does.

110mm might be a bit long if your 4x4, but if your 4x2, not a big deal.

Yeah I bought the 110mm bolts down at the fastenal store. Its a 4x2 so 110mm should be fine. I just wanted to make sure there will be no tension when I remove the bolt, resulting in something flying off & hitting me in the head or something lol, but from what I've read it should be fine.

Back