• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar Question

jbrown123

Reaction score
City, State
Greeley, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I have a 1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4X4. My question is when I look at the torsion bar on each side the bolts that adjust the torsion bars are different. Meaning on one side the bolt is all the way in and the other side its all the way out. I have asked many garages about this and they said that its normal, but I still question that. Shouldnt these adjusting bolts be pretty close to the same? I would sure appreciate it if anyone out there could tell me if this is normal or if this is a problem. I do know that the side that is all the way in I have a lot of noise comming from that side, so I don't know if this torsion bar on that side is causing the problems, since I have had everything looked at and everything looks good.

Nothing to worry about.

The torsion bolts adjust the amount of "rotation" on each torsion bar, and therefore the pre-load or force on each bar.

Check your fender height on each side. If they are even, then the bolts are set correctly. Sometimes the passenger side bolt is loosened to even out the weight of the gas tank and driver on the driver's side. Most likely the last shop to perform an alignment adjusted them to equalize the ride height.

Yes, it's normal. Every torsion bar is a little bit dofferent and will, therefore, require a little more or a little less preload than every other bar.

-Joe

Back