Total Color Change-Interior and Exterior-Many Photos | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Total Color Change-Interior and Exterior-Many Photos

Dennis1188

Reaction score
City, State
West Lafayette, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport, 4.0 OHV
1996 Sport

Picked this up for a few hundred dollars.
Had many, many problems but thanks to this great forum I was able to repair everything myself. A special thanks to Monmix, Ped5stang and especially to BroklynBay.

OK, I was happy with my purchase but upon doing some checking I noticed some rust under the plastic trim. I took the plastic trim off and discovered most of the metal had rusted away. Both rocker panels had to be replaced and the doglegs had to be manufactured because they to do make replacement doglegs for the Sport Edition.

PS
Learn from my very stupid mistake. When grinding the rocker panels you will need to protect everything from the sparks… including the windows. I had to replace the windshield because while grinding, sparks were hitting the windshield and etching into the glass resulting in a freaking mess that could not be cleaned off or even polished off.

All in all it was a fun learning experience that took about two months.
Total spent was just under 2,500 including what I paid for the truck.

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

This was the good side. The other side was much worse and the fender edges were also rusted out. No photos to show but I almost gave up at that point even before I really got started but Monmix gave me hope that it could be done and come out fairly decent.
e4.jpg

Removed all the interior rust and gave it two coats of rust reformer paint and later finished it with two coats of black.
e4a.jpg

Took EVERYTHING out and debadged the exterior.
e4b.jpg

Decided to shave the useless rear wiper..
e5a.jpg

Rust all gone and I forgot to mention the hood also had plenty of rust near the front.
e6.jpg

e7.jpg

Decided to Dye the leather seats in black. I worked many years in a leather factory so I was familiar with the process of changing the color of leather. It is not PAINTED black. I bought my supplies from this company and the process was not that hard.

www.leatherworldtech.com

The dyed chairs have been tested with a clean white rag and the color does not rub off but I already knew that.
e7a.jpg

e7b.jpg

e7c.jpg

e8.jpg

e9.jpg

The paint job was done by Maaco and before anyone freaks out read the reason why I decided to go with Maaco. I went to a couple of body shops and was quoted a price of SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS to get a great looking paint job. This truck is just not worth it… period. If your going to spend that kind of money, why on earth would you spend it on a beater truck?
Anyway, the paint job from Maaco is OK… far from perfect but acceptable and worth the 600 bucks I paid to do the complete color change including painting inside the doors. It comes with a 2-year “warranty” against any defects.

Color: Bright Island Blue
e9a.jpg

I decided to go with an all black interior and I will disagree with the few people who think that an all black color scheme will make the interior hotter in the summer.

I removed all the parts and spray painted them with Krylon Fusion paint made for plastic… three coats. Obviously, even with three coats you need to be a little careful but for my use it will hold up just fine.

The carpet is new and required a little very careful cutting to make it fit correctly.
o1.jpg

o2.jpg

o3.jpg

Decided not to put back the rear seats leaving me plenty of room for cargo or my security force.
o4.jpg

My Security Force... "Don't even think about it".
o5.jpg

New headlamps on front and rear.
o6.jpg

o7.jpg

o8.jpg

o9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great work!

LOL I'm loving this pic
o5.jpg

nice job! i feel your pain on the rocker rot however. when through the same deal last fall.

D@mn, that's a well done job. Only one question thou. If the security is in a cage how are they deter some from stealing them and the truck? My babies get behind the wheel when i'm not in it, I leave it running, windows up, locked, with the AC blowing. There's always people taking cell pics of my anti-theft in action, when I get back to my Explorer.:troops:

looks AWESOME man. Excellent work.

That's a great job! Looks really good. I wish Ford had done a factory black interior- but you pulled it off for them, and I love teh contrast on the carpeting too! Great job on the body work- I feel your pain as well... :thumbsup:

The expression on the little guy is priceless... :D

Impressive. It's like a new truck.

Your security force looks great! I hope they get paid well!

Thank you all for the wonderful comments.:)

My security force gets paid very well with lots of love and attention.
I try and take them with me every time I go out for errands.
Lucy is the name of the Beagle and Jessica is a mixed breed.

Future plans include:
-Custom built stronger more secure crate for the pets.
-New power steering pump
-New slightly bigger tires P65/70R16

Both rocker panels had to be replaced and the doglegs had to be manufactured because they to do make replacement doglegs for the Sport Edition.

They DO make replacement doglegs? I called everywhere when I got mine done and couldn't find any. :( My pap had to custom make them.(They still look stock though:D)

The color code is LZ and the name is Bright Island Blue
:)

I really love the dye job on the seats. They look great!!!
I envy your interior, looks far better than a beater.

Wow, great job!! I wish I had a 'beater' that was that nice!!

Awesome Job!!!! just one question.....do you have the carpet on the door panels??? Im thinking of doing the same thing, but my 98 explorer xlt 4dr has the carpet on the bottom part of the doors.....how did u get around that??? or just take the carpet off and paint the plastic?

The carpet on the door was a little bit of a challenge so I decided to paint it black with the same spray paint I used on the door panel. It makes the carpet a little stiffer but otherwise it looks OK. The door panel breaks down into three parts plus the reflector. The back arm rest had to be dyed NOT painted. The front part that holds the switches was painted. The upper leather on the door panel does not come off so I taped off the lower door area and did the leather dye first. After a few days I taped off the leather area and spray painted the rest… 3-coats.

cc.jpg

They DO make replacement doglegs? I called everywhere when I got mine done and couldn't find any. :( My pap had to custom make them.(They still look stock though:D)

They don't make them for Sports but for 4 doors so sometimes you have to cut & weld to make em work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to beat a dead horse but Blee1099 is absolutly correct. No one makes doglegs for the Sport Edition. Obviously you cannot tell from the above photo but I replaced the entire rocker panel and welded several pieces of metal together to make my doglegs… plus Bondo helped tremendously.:)

Back