Tow Package and Trailer Brake Controller | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Package and Trailer Brake Controller

unixadm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU Ecoboost
Have any of you added the OEM tow hitch and rear 7 pin harness? I've got that done and both trailer connectors work, however I need to install a trailer brake controller. It would appear the PIU does not have the connector under the dash. Has anyone installed a TBC from scratch in a PIU? I'd end up splicing into the factory 7-pin wiring harness from the TBC, so it would look factory at the back but would need an intermediate harness within the vehicle. This is on a 2015 PIU Ecoboost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the connector is there. I could have sworn I saw it above the OBD connector when I was installing my remote starter. I'll double check in the morning.

Have any of you added the OEM tow hitch and rear 7 pin harness? I've got that done and both trailer connectors work, however I need to install a trailer brake controller. It would appear the PIU does not have the connector under the dash. Has anyone installed a TBC from scratch in a PIU? I'd end up splicing into the factory 7-pin wiring harness from the TBC, so it would look factory at the back but would need an intermediate harness within the vehicle. This is on a 2015 PIU Ecoboost.
Just keep in mind that because it is an aftermarket install that the vehicle is only rated to tow 2000 lbs.

Peter

Very interesting that a rear receiver has never been an option on a PIU but a wise move on Ford's part. I get it though with potential liabilities, pursuit ratings, etc. The guys I work with have pulled trailers with their Tahoes in situations that would go against our department policy big time!

I installed an OEM receiver on my 17' PIU. It was a Class 3, 2" receiver, rated for 5k. PIU owner's manual states 2,500 lbs max with both the Eco and the 3.7. I installed the factory wiring harness but could only come up with the one for the 4 pin connector. The 4 pin drives me crazy and I'm a solid believer in the 7 pin connector (even if your trailer doesn't have electric brakes). I dug through all of the options through the many different versions of that harness. I have back up sensors and BLIS.

Sounds like you found a good part number for the 4 and 7 pin harness. Best I remeber, it was only one letter in the suffix of the part number that separated the many versions.

No clue on the connector, but along the lines on what assaul was saying, there are tons of unused connectors under the dash. You might need Forscan to activate it.

I will be towing more than 2k pounds and have no concerns about doing so. It's got more coolers than an Explorer Sport (Mine has the $3k PTU cooler option on top of all of the other coolers), weighs less and has a better transmission shift schedule which would work for towing since it holds gears much longer than the retail calibration.

I'll have to poke around under the dash a bit more, but I didn't see the trailer brake controller connector under there. I did find the proper rear harness through Tasca Parts. I bought the one for:

w/ Tow, W/ Backup Sensors and W/ Blindspot Monitoring without ID Card.

It was around $80 for the harness. I have Forscan already because I removed the AUX buttons from the steering wheel and cluster by reprogramming the SCCM and IPC but I don't see any integration which would require a BCM change. I also use it on my 17 Shelby GT350 - great app.

I'll report back if I find anything more.

Thanks!

I agree with you about the 2k. I made the same point in another post that everyone was heating up on the 2k vs 5k debate. The PIU has all the extra coolers, thick radiator, etc all standard so it will be just fine. Just like the beloved Crown Vic PI, it doesn't have to be the fastest car, it just has to outlast the others.

I ordered this harness but only got the lame 4 pin:

With trailer tow, sensors & electrical, with blind spot monitor, without auto park, without power lift gate.

Good move on the Forscan mods. I've gotten well acquainted with mine and have made several changes. I have a F150 as a personal vehicle and their forum is loaded with Forscan info (just in case you haven't visited). The F150 guys, the Focus fanatics and the Fusion crowd are all over the As Built Data. Here is a growing spreadsheet from the F150 guys:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/htmlview#

There are several threads about enabling the trailer brake controller so it populates in the IPC.

The F150 guys are also enabling "Secure Idle" which became an option on the 17' PI's.

Back