Tow package identification 02-05 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow package identification 02-05

Hi everybody,
I am currently looking for a 02-05 Explorer 2wd V8 with a factory towing package.
I have noticed there seem to be very few in this area (Montgomery, AL.).
So I’m doing some shopping online and can’t run over and look at them without making a day of it.
I’ve also noticed that some dealers will advertise that it has a tow package when I’m pretty sure it doesn’t.
I’ve also looked through this entire towing section and have learned a lot.
I just want to make sure I’ve got this right.

If a V8 02-05 has a factory 2” receiver does it absolutely have a factory tow package?

If it has a 2” receiver AND the 7 pin harness does it absolutely have a factory tow package?

Are there any definite things I can look for, without having the truck available, to be sure it has a towing package?

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say if you have the factory 7 pin connector and the 2" receiver, you have a factory towing package vehicle. It was common to swap on a 2" receiver because of the lack of accessories for the 1 1/4". Other than that, if you find one in person, a folded up window sticker would be the only way that I'd know for sure to tell.

Thanks for the info. Still shopping so maybe I'll get one soon.

For 2006 and later, I think the 2" is a dead giveaway, since the hitches were/are welded to the frames started in 2006+ for increased frame stiffness/durability. But 2002-2005, it's my understanding that they were bolted in place, which is why they could be easily swapped. So the 2" receiver on a 2002-2005 is a good indicator, but not 100%. Even better is the 2" receiver and 7-pin Bargman connector.

If you see a 2002-2005 with the 2" receiver, but no 7-pin connector, the hitch is likely a retrofit, and you would NOT have the required 3.73 rear axle for 7000+ tow rating. This would still be stuck at 3500 lbs MAX.

You didn't ask, but:
If you can afford it, watch for a 2006 V8 model. At least keep it in the search, in case you find a great deal in your budget. Versus the 2005:
1. Engine upgraded from 2-valve per cylincer to Triton 3-valve (292hp/300 ft-lbs versus around 250hp / ???ft-lbs)
2. Trans upgrade to 6-speed auto from 5-speed auto
3. 6-speed trans allows the tow-package truck to keep the 3.55 rear end. Full 7000+ tow rating with 3.55 axle and low 1st gear, but better fuel economy with 6th gear on the highway. 2005 V8 with 3.73 axle will have worse gas mileage.

Note: In most cases, a comparably equipped Mountaineer will be cheaper than an Explorer. Or you get more options for the same money. When I was searching, the only thing I could find cheaper than my AWD Mounty Premier was a barebones Explorer XLT.

I tend to ramble...

Hey guys thanks for the help on the earlier questions.

brakeman I pretty much took you advice without even knowing it.

I found an '06 v8 2wd last weekend and bought it. it does have the towing package.
my wife loves it. so I hope I get to drive it for a little while longer before she claims it.

Hey guys thanks for the help on the earlier questions.

brakeman I pretty much took you advice without even knowing it.

I found an '06 v8 2wd last weekend and bought it. it does have the towing package.
my wife loves it. so I hope I get to drive it for a little while longer before she claims it.

It's as good as gone. Enjoy it while you can!

Back