Tow package | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow package

There is a plug for a tbc under the steering wheel behind the plastic, but my understanding is that Ford doesn't make the controller itself. I believe there are a couple plug n play aftermarket options
That’s really disappointing. On the F150 it’s a plug and play (almost) plus a Fordscan update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a plug for a tbc under the steering wheel behind the plastic, but my understanding is that Ford doesn't make the controller itself. I believe there are a couple plug n play aftermarket options
I recall someone posting a picture of the connector under the dash, since it is apparently really tucked up there and hard to see.

In my Expedition the plug under the dash provided power and ground for the controller and the activation wire for the trailer brakes, and you just spliced it onto the matching wires on the trailer brake controller. This looks like a current version of a similar harness plug. 2021 Ford Explorer Brake Controller | etrailer.com

.......................... From what I've seen, it looks like the only thing the dealer would have to install are the BLIS mirrors to cover the trailer, wiring, and hitch. It seems the 2020s came with the oil cooler already installed and the tow haul mode is present, although I don't know if it is really active or does anything different than regular mode.
Are you still following your thread?? If you don't have BLIS then there is more than just adding the mirrors with the BLIS indicators. There are 2 radar-type sensors that would also likely have to be installed in the rear bumpers plus wiring.

Peter

If you have the tow package the break controller is plug and play. The harness is at the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel.I wasn’t drilling holes into my new explorer so luckily it fits right in the fuse compartment.

04653B5E-7C0E-4723-946D-D718E698580A.jpeg

So more playing 'twister' to try and get at the cabin fuse panel? That in itself is a big improvement. I have even checked where mine is. I guessed it was the same as the 5th gen Explorers. Perhaps not.

Peter

Are you still following your thread?? If you don't have BLIS then there is more than just adding the mirrors with the BLIS indicators. There are 2 radar-type sensors that would also likely have to be installed in the rear bumpers plus wiring.

Peter
I’m still here. I just got very busy and haven’t been able to respond. Yes I do have the BLIS as well as the paddle shifters, Manual mode on the transmission, and tow/haul on the drive modes.

The 2020 included most of the things that the trailer tow package includes so the dealer only had to install the hitch. I'm not positive on that as I didn't spend a lot of time researching the 20. For 21 the class 3 tow package includes everything incl. Select shift. My main reason for getting the trailer package was for select shift. I hope I made that at least somewhat clear.
Form my research that’s what it seemed, but I don’t want to tow the higher amount on “what it seemed.”

I recall someone posting a picture of the connector under the dash, since it is apparently really tucked up there and hard to see.

In my Expedition the plug under the dash provided power and ground for the controller and the activation wire for the trailer brakes, and you just spliced it onto the matching wires on the trailer brake controller. This looks like a current version of a similar harness plug. 2021 Ford Explorer Brake Controller | etrailer.com
This is the thread with the picture you recall: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/explorer-brake-controller.482431/

The tow package is a good value. Another benefit besides the select shift and towing ability is crash protection. The previous gen police interceptor SUV had a significant amount of frame reinforcement added to the rear to withstand 75mph rear end collisions. The 20+ meets this requirement without extra reinforcement, but with tow hitch equipment and spare tire in place.

The tow package is a good value. Another benefit besides the select shift and towing ability is crash protection. The previous gen police interceptor SUV had a significant amount of frame reinforcement added to the rear to withstand 75mph rear end collisions. The 20+ meets this requirement without extra reinforcement, but with tow hitch equipment and spare tire in place.
Thats cool, I did'nt know that.

The tow package is a good value. Another benefit besides the select shift and towing ability is crash protection...................................
The 2020 Order Guide shows all trims have "10 Speed Automatic Transmission with SelectShift Capability" as standard equipment.

Peter

The 2020 Order Guide shows all trims have "10 Speed Automatic Transmission with SelectShift Capability" as standard equipment.

Peter
2021 they only offer select shift with trailer tow. That was one of the ways that they reduced the base price. It was a little bit hard to find one in Feb. with the equipt that I wanted with trailer tow, even harder now with the slowdown due to chips.

I only checked the 2020 Guide because that is the year the member above has.

Peter

I only checked the 2020 Guide because that is the year the member above has.

Peter
Would you happen to have a copy or a link to a copy of the order guide?

Attachments

• 2020-Explorer-Order-Guide(1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 144

Would you happen to have a copy or a link to a copy of the order guide?
I believe most Order Guides have been posted in the Forum and you can find them using the 'Search' feature at the top right. ;)

Peter

Yes. This change is noted on Page 1 of the 2021 Ford Explorer Order Guide. It says:

"SelectShift® Capability with Paddle Shifters is no longer
standard across all series. It is Included in the Class III
Trailer Tow Package (52T) on XLT 200A/202A and Limited
301A, Included in Limited 310A. Standard on ST and
Platinum."
Yep, I have a 2021 XLT with factory tow package. I have paddle shifters and M on shifter.

Back