Towing 2500 lbs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing 2500 lbs

Impressive. If you pull any distances, you might consider some air bags, helper springs, or a weight distribution hitch to help with sag on the rear.

A weight distribution hitch distributes the rear hitch weight, takes it off the rear axle and spreads it evenly to all four vehicle wheels and the trailer wheels. Plus it will keep your headlights aimed properly and help with overall control.

You did not mention trailer brakes, but I presume you have some. If not, you will have a situation where your load is heavier than the vehicle, resulting in a condition called " tail is wagging the dog" and the load actually pushing the tow vehicle. Nice Explorers and boats!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone. Great topic. I do not want to take sides, but, once you tow with the V8, you wont go back. My brothers V6 worked fine. For me, the ratio of the limit to what you can tow vs. what you are actually towing makes me feel less stressed when towing a 4000 boat.

Trailer brakes are a must. Period. I usually tow with the truck in OD until I come to a hill or incline in the road, then I pull it out. If it is a light trailer (less than 1000 lbs) I just leave it in OD all the time, and the tranny will downshift when it needs to.

Oh and I usually use the instant MPG feature built into the trucks console computer to let me know when to pull it out of OD. If the MPG drop below 11mpg, I know that the engine is starting to lug, and I hit the button...Handy trick for you guyys that have the console computer...

Originally posted by plrs x45
Hey everyone. Great topic. I do not want to take sides, but, once you tow with the V8, you wont go back. My brothers V6 worked fine. For me, the ratio of the limit to what you can tow vs. what you are actually towing makes me feel less stressed when towing a 4000 boat.
I have to agree. I have both v6 and v8 Explorers. And I have towed heavy loads with both. The v8 has way better torque.

Eventhough the my v8 Explorer can tow better, I'm still modifying it to make sure I don't run the engine and tranny into the ground doing it.
Things I've already done:
  • Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller
  • Weight Distributing Hitch
  • Aux Tranny Filter
  • Tranny Temp Gauge
  • Water Temp Gauge
  • B&M Super Tranny Cooler - in addition to the stock tranny cooler
Future mods:
  • 4.10 gears
  • Add a Perma-Cool 8" fan to the B&M tranny cooler with a manual switch
  • Catback Performance Exhaust
  • Headers
  • E-303 cam
  • Oil Pressure Gauge
Things I'm considering:
  • Air springs - I have the load leveling air shocks, but I wonder how long they will last.
  • Air hitch
  • Engine Oil Cooler
  • Slotted Brake Rotors

talking with the wife today, and for our next tow vehicle, we won't have any of these worries.. going to get in about a year, either a F150 King Ranch or the Lincoln Mark LT(dressed up F150) with the 3 valve 5.4 SOHC..

I hope you guys who are towing in OD are changing your tranny fluid often

Mmm... V8 power :p

10114image004.jpg

I have been towing my Mustang for 6 months now which adds up to be around 4300#'s with the trailer. Im doing this with a 97 SOHC w/3.55 gears, 2 tranny coolers, and electric brakes. No problems yet. If im on the highway cruising at 70 with no big hills ill put it in OD till a big hill comes around.

Well, this weekend was the first time towing my Sport Trac with my Limited for a long distance. We went from my Mom's house in Las Cruces, NM to home here in Houston, TX. Which was about a 760 mile trip. It went really well. Like I've said, the v8 has torque! There were plenty of hills on I-10 where the tranny didn't even have to downshift to pull the hill. Keeping it between 65 and 70 was not a problem on the hills.
Only a few hills required getting the tranny to downshift to 2nd gear. On those hills that required 2nd gear, the tranny temp gauge would start climbing until I kicked it in 2nd. Then it would start to go back down.

I do know now that I still need to add the puller fan. When we started hitting more stop and go traffic when we got closer to home, the tranny temp gauge would go up around 180 until we got back up to cruisin speed.

Since my last post I have added a performance catback exhaust and headers are on their way.
The next priority mods will be the puller fan and 4.10 gears.

We stopped in Fredericksberg, TX for lunch on Monday. And this old church made for a good photo op. :D
410702160006.JPG

Back