Towing Capacity of a 2002 Ford Explorer V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Capacity of a 2002 Ford Explorer V6

Reaction score
City, State
Laurel, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB
I bought a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer for my first car today! It has the 4.0L SOHC V6 with a 3.55 axle ratio. I'm wanting to know my towing capacity. We have a 3,800 pound center console boat. Will my Explorer tow it? If not, is there anyway to increase the towing capacity so that I can tow my boat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to my owners manual (I have this very same engine/rear combination in my 2002 XLS) you can only tow a combined weight of 3632 lbs. I would have thought the Eddie Bauer had the 3.73 limited slip rear.

Thanks JCR! I think the dealer may have made a mistake on which axle ratio I have. I'm going to check and see! Thanks again!

Thanks JCR! I think the dealer may have made a mistake on which axle ratio I have. I'm going to check and see! Thanks again!

It should be on the tag inside of the front door.

Do you have a 2" Class III/IV hitch built into the frame of the vehicle? If not, you've probably got the 3.55.

I'm guessing the trailer has surge brakes? The heaviest trailer I've pulled with mine was a 4,800lb car trailer which was definitely a bit heavy. My boat comes in around 3,000 and I tow it all the time with no issues.

Here's what I have. . .

It should be on the tag inside of the front door.

Do you have a 2" Class III/IV hitch built into the frame of the vehicle? If not, you've probably got the 3.55.

Is this a Class III/IV hitch?
WOaN0GWewDAAxajlEOKYEn--G7qitPYQXRjlzkQCH83wMrEiwNiV_-z-j3x19zGt_LHFO4OdtL8

Sorry, all I see is the red "X"

Red "X" again...

Look on the inside of the driver's door for the Axle code then check it here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

My V6 '07 with Class III/IV tow package shows a '46' Code meaning a 3.73 non-limited slip.
My V8 '03 with Class III/IV tow package shows a 'D4' meaning a 3.73LS.

What axle code are you showing?

Red "X" again...

Look on the inside of the driver's door for the Axle code then check it here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

My V6 '07 with Class III/IV tow package shows a '46' Code meaning a 3.73 non-limited slip.
My V8 '03 with Class III/IV tow package shows a 'D4' meaning a 3.73LS.

What axle code are you showing?

45, so I must have the 3.55 axle ratio. Thanks for the information!

Just to make sure that I didn't read it wrong. . . Where exactly should the axle code be?

Tow packages usually come with a 3.73 rear axle so the code would likely be something like 46 or D4

Back