Towing Mirrors for 4th Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Mirrors for 4th Gen

Has anybody found a good set of slip on towing mirrors for a 4th Gen?

Looking for something a little better fitting and cleaner looking than the universal velcro style mirrors.

If not, other ideas?

I searched around the webs, and came up empty handed for an aftermarket set, made for the Explorers. Nothing but cheap slip on, or bolt on trucker bracket types.

I found a couple of posts, that mentioned people modifying F-250/350 tow mirrors. Next time I'm at a salvage yard, I will try to find one of those, and see what needs to be done to retrofit them to an Explorer. Be nice if the studs and trim lined up. Then all one would need to do, is wire them up for the turn signals, heat, puddle, and power direction. They fold flat, flip up/down, and extend.

I searched around the webs, and came up empty handed for an aftermarket set, made for the Explorers. Nothing but cheap slip on, or bolt on trucker bracket types.

I found a couple of posts, that mentioned people modifying F-250/350 tow mirrors. Next time I'm at a salvage yard, I will try to find one of those, and see what needs to be done to retrofit them to an Explorer. Be nice if the studs and trim lined up. Then all one would need to do, is wire them up for the turn signals, heat, puddle, and power direction. They fold flat, flip up/down, and extend.
If there was any tow mirror that might have the best chance at being retro fitted it would be the 2007 Expedition tow mirrors. The plastic base/mounting piece looks similar in design to the 4th Gen Explorer just much bigger. The vertical measurement of the base/mount area (closest to the window) is 13" while the Explorer's factory mirrors is only 9" so there is a significant size difference that would overlap the window.

I would also be curious about the standard mirrors on an Expedition and if they are any longer than the factory Explorer and if they would fit also.

Back