• Register Today It's free!

Towing opinion with my Exploder?

Joop_king

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Xlt SOHC
Well guys newbie here, I just got rid of my lifted Jeep Wrangler, well kindov blew it up on the trails and sold for parts, but anyways, I bought a 2000 Explorer 4x4 with only 105k on the 4.0 SOHC, so I just installed my trailer hitch and need to haul my boat with it, my boat weighs about 3500lbs loaded including trailer, the lake is only 20 minutes away but I've read the 5R55E is weak, opinions on towing with it?? It won't be a usual thing but my expedition is in the shop

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the 2000 Explorer Specs page, that 3500lbs is over 1/2 a ton below the XLT's standard towing capacity. Please anyone correct me if I misread the info, but especially if you're towing for 40 minutes every once in a while (until your Expedition is ready) I don't see any problem hitching up.

3500 isn't bad, I think your rated at 5000 or so. The 5r55e is weak, but it aint that weak :p: it's still a truck, just a small one

picture.php

Thanks for the replys guys, I was just worried because I don't have a tranny cooler, I do not want a transmission replacement to eat into my lifting fund :D

Back