Towing Question...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Question...?

is it advisable to use the bumper mounted towing ball to pull a trailer with a V8 Explorer on it?

We've got a 96 4.0 ohv explorer and it's got a bumper mounted ball hitch.

Is this ok or should I use something else?

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Absolutely not! You need a real hitch to tow something that heavy.

Thanks, just wanted to check.

Would it be ok to tow with the Explorer with a frame mounted hitch then? or should I use a bigger vehicle, like a Silverado or a Ram?

Si

To be clear:
You want to put a V8 Explorer on a trailer. Then you want to use a V6 Explorer to tow that trailer?

Too much for a bumper hitch. Probably only rated for 2000 lbs (maybe 3500??). But if you get the frame-mounted hitch, you need to have the factory tow package on your V6 or you still only have 3500 lbs tow rating.

Why not use the V8 to tow the V6 (on the trailer)? But then, you'll still need a factory tow package and proper hitch receiver.

The V8 is a rollover and doesn't drive.

I'll get someone with a bigger truck to help then, it was just an idea to keep the fuel costs down as it's a 16hr round trip!

Thanks guys,

Si

A bigger truck will probably get better gas mileage than taxing the 4.0 for 16 hours. Plus you won't have to buy a transmission.

I've got 2 spare trannies lol, but thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully some friends will help me out so I can get this rollover before someone else buys it.

Si

A bigger truck will probably get better gas mileage than taxing the 4.0 for 16 hours. Plus you won't have to buy a transmission.
And you won't have the set the V6 Ex up with electric brake controller, etc, etc, etc. Good choice on borrowing another truck. Good luck with the move. What's the deal with the V8? Is this a salvage find for parts? Fixer-upper?

Back