• Register Today It's free!

Towing Travel Trailer

weeper123

Reaction score
City, State
DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
I'm looking into getting a lightweight hybrid travel trailer for my family to camp in this summer... I have an 04 Sport Trac 4.0l V6 4WD. I have a Class III hitch and tow ball on the truck.

The current trailer I'm looking at has a GVWR of 4400lbs and a GAWR of 2200lbs.

Other than getting a bigger truck :rolleyes: would my truck pull this? or what would the suggested max to tow be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your tow rating should be around 5,000lb. The trailer is under that, but keep in mind all your gear, water, propane, passengers etc.

Just for reference...I've pulled our 1995 Jayco 1207 with my wife's 2004 V6 with no problem at all (with a class II, no less). It's in the 3500 lb range loaded, and I had the entire family as well. You have the tow package so you're even better equipped. Your owner's manual will list the factory tow rating for the truck.

I have a 2001 4.0 4x4 Sport Trac and pulled a 26 ft Rockwood trailer from one side of the US to the other, up and down mountains and she (Louise) did great. Even averaged 11 miles to the gallon! (The trailer was named Thelma.) Invest in an equalizer hitch and anti-sway device.

Get an equalizing hitch and a trailer brake controller.
Tow rating is 5500 lb. but to the trailer weight you have to add the weight of beer, food, beer, camping supplies, beer, luggage, grill, charcoal, beer, golf clubs, and beer. Oh, and ice for the beer.

Dang, Johnny. By my numbers, that's about 1,500 lbs of beer.

To Johnny O: I had to factor in wine, wine glasses and cheese. Learned as I traveled that if you bought something new, then something had to go. Bought a lot of wine and found out I really didn't need pots and pans :D

Back