• Register Today It's free!

Towing with a 92X ???

OL Crony

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer Edition
i've owned my explorer now for many years and have never had to tow anything with it until recently. i just bought a boat and have several questions.

what is the trailing capacity of my X?

i have been using the bumper and it seems to work alright. alright meaning that nothing catastrophic has happened - knock on wood. ;-)

do the safety chains hook up underneath and behind the rear bumper in the slotted holes?

on either side of the ball are two little holes, at first i thought that was where you hook up the safety chains, but of course they can't be, they are way too small.

thanks for your input.

az

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on how big your boat is, you should consider getting a class III hitch. I found mine on ebay for $50+$15(shipping).

How heavy is your boat? both gross and tongue. The bumper is not a good tow point for anything except light weights. I routinely tow 3200 lbs with a 300 lb tongue with a class 3 hitch. If you are going to be towing get a hitch. Keep your tranny out of OD and make sure tranny fluid is full and clean. The a4ld hates towing

Capacity depends on the body style (2 door or 4), transmission, 4wd or not, axle ratio, and hitch. Could be from about 1700-5600lbs. 3.73 ratio with an automatic trans are the highest. The two holes are for safety chains.

Check out etrailer.com. I found a sweet tubular Hidden Hitch class III that is hidden behind the bumper, except for the hitch receiver. It looks much cleaner then the cheap U-Haul square ones.

i just looked up the specs on the boat and trailer. i believe that if i am reading it correctly, i have been towing around in the area of 4500 lbs. i don't ever plan on going far, just from storage to the launch, which is about three miles one way in the city. i have been babying it out of fear and ignorance.

my body style is 4 door. i have been keeping it out of OD. i do have full and clean tranny fluid. i still don't know what those slotted holes are underneath and behind the bumper. i don't know what axle ratio i have, nor which transmission, but i did on the initial tow get it all up to about 55 mph and had no problems that i could detect. i do know that i have a tranny cooler that came with the truck - stock i am sure.

another concern that i have is pulling the boat out of the water. i have heard many a story about people have such troubles and having to install posi-traction. what is that and how does it work?

any follow up info that anyone has is greatly appreciated.

az

Back