• Register Today It's free!

towing

jprentice94

Reaction score
City, State
oroville ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sas explorer
Hey i have a 92 with 3,88s auto 4x4 i need to know if it would be fine to tow a jeep cherokee on a double axle trailer which is suppose to be fairly light about 50 miles all highway do you think it will be fine i looked up the jeep only weighs 3000 but dont no about trailer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wouldnt suggest it because it would be very close to the wieght limit, maybe if you balanced the jeep on the trailer VERY well and it had brakes on it. also dont drive in OD, the manual even says not to, and with mine with 3.73 gearing in D i dont go over 50 and still get absolutely god aweful gas milage so expect to use a quarter of a tank every 20 miles...

You could do it if you're very careful..
Also, DO NOT do it on the bumper hitch. Only if you have a true class III or IV hitch.
Balance the weight evenly on the trailer and take it easy.

It'll be fine, take it slow and pay attention. Explorers have soft suspension and sway bars so trailers throw em around a little

It'll be fine, take it slow and pay attention. Explorers have soft suspension and sway bars so trailers throw em around a little

1500th post! Grats. ;)

1500th post! Grats. ;)

Haha thanks! I wonder how many of those have been towing related? Prob a good percentage lol

Haha thanks! I wonder how many of those have been towing related? Prob a good percentage lol

aha, mine are mostly in audio.
If I ever need towing help, I know who to ask. :)

I have seen Explorers tow huge loads so if it's a one-time thing, it should be fine. Your weak point is your transmission and I seem to recall you had trans issues already (maybe you rebuilt it since then?). Don't use Overdrive, and keep that trans cool... hopefully you have added an auxiliary cooler besides the stock one.

Hey i have a 92 with 3,88s auto 4x4 i need to know if it would be fine to tow a jeep cherokee on a double axle trailer which is suppose to be fairly light about 50 miles all highway do you think it will be fine i looked up the jeep only weighs 3000 but dont no about trailer

3.88s????:scratch::scratch:

I have seen Explorers tow huge loads so if it's a one-time thing, it should be fine. Your weak point is your transmission and I seem to recall you had trans issues already (maybe you rebuilt it since then?). Don't use Overdrive, and keep that trans cool... hopefully you have added an auxiliary cooler besides the stock one.

Other explorer lol but this one has mild flares and it would only be once

Considering they dont make 3.88s so I would say yea and also makes a HUGE difference if it can or will tow that much..

if you are renting the trailer they well tell you if you can . just give the the real truck you are driving and the one on the trailer and because they don't want to get sue when you land upside down in the ditch. u hall is very good for that . the only trouble is they put my d350 in the computer as a d50 and told my i could not get the trailer . just keep it under 50 and you will do good.

Back