• Register Today It's free!

TPMS sensors

Bill MacLeod

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ltd V-8
I'm looking for a set of 05/10, 17" Mustang wheels for the X. I think that Ford used both the valve mounted and band style sensor on the Mustangs, so how could I tell which sensor is used if the tires are mounted on the rims?
Will obviously sell the tires, but need to make sure I get rims with the band type sensors. (At least I think that is what is on my 2006 Ltd)
Can anyone advise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking for a set of 05/10, 17" Mustang wheels for the X. I think that Ford used both the valve mounted and band style sensor on the Mustangs, so how could I tell which sensor is used if the tires are mounted on the rims?
Will obviously sell the tires, but need to make sure I get rims with the band type sensors. (At least I think that is what is on my 2006 Ltd)
Can anyone advise?

Get the VIN from the car and have Ford look it up? If you don't know what vehicle the wheels came from, couldn't you/they deflate a tire, break the bead, and take a peek inside?

Chris

Good points Chris, those ideas would work, its just that I was hoping for an easier way to identify the TPMS system.
From other posts, it would appear (hope I have this right) that the sensors attached to the valve stem have a chrome/metal stem with a locknut at the bottom of the stem and tight to the rim to lock/secure the sensor in position. The band style have a ordinary looking rubber type valve stem as the sensor is not part of the stem and is securd by the band approx 180* opposite of the stems location.

it would appear (hope I have this right) that the sensors attached to the valve stem have a chrome/metal stem with a locknut at the bottom of the stem and tight to the rim to lock/secure the sensor in position. The band style have a ordinary looking rubber type valve stem as the sensor is not part of the stem and is securd by the band approx 180* opposite of the stems location.

That is correct

Good points Chris, those ideas would work, its just that I was hoping for an easier way to identify the TPMS system.
From other posts, it would appear (hope I have this right) that the sensors attached to the valve stem have a chrome/metal stem with a locknut at the bottom of the stem and tight to the rim to lock/secure the sensor in position. The band style have a ordinary looking rubber type valve stem as the sensor is not part of the stem and is securd by the band approx 180* opposite of the stems location.

That certainly sounds logical to me. But even if true, it's only a 99% probabilty that will be the case. Why? Because if the previous tire/wheel owner was like I was when I was a kid, when I got new tires I also replaced those rubber valve stems with threaded stainless steel ones. Which were way cooler. Ha!

Chris

The only thing you could pretty much guarantee is that if it has rubber valves, It DOES NOT have valve type sensors. I'd like to say that means it has the banded sensors, but as my friend found out last year upon purchasing a used wheel/tire package, two had the sensors and two didnt.

Back