TPMS Sensors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Sensors

Shoe_Here

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
I have an XLT with standard 18's and am getting 22's. Wondering if it is easy to swap out the TPMS sensors or is it worth it to spend the 35-40bucks per sensor for new ones? I will be swapping these tire wheel sets for seasons. Winter/Summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an XLT with standard 18's and am getting 22's. Wondering if it is easy to swap out the TPMS sensors or is it worth it to spend the 35-40bucks per sensor for new ones? I will be swapping these tire wheel sets for seasons. Winter/Summer.
If your Winter tires are going to be mounted on their ownrims, then I would suggest getting a set of TMPS sensors for them. I will be getting a set of 17" steel rims and sensors for my Limited in the Fall to put Winters on. 17" tires are far less expensive than the OEM 20's. I wonder how many TPMS serial numbers the control module will hold? If it holds 8 then we won't have to get the module reprogrammed every time tires are changes. My Highlander holds 5 (includes spare) but I believe some of the Lexus models will hold 9.

If it does only hold 4 how much will it cost to have this re-programmed twice a year? I saw something in another post about a sensor you can buy for chaging this yourself. It was for the Subaru, not sure if you would need a special one for the Ford.

If it does only hold 4 how much will it cost to have this re-programmed twice a year? I saw something in another post about a sensor you can buy for chaging this yourself. It was for the Subaru, not sure if you would need a special one for the Ford.

Just wanted to post that every time you change the wheels on your car then you will, in theory, have to have the vehicle re-programmed anyway for the different wheel size if you want your speedometer and fuel mileage sensors to be correct, at least according to the service manual anyway, if you don't care about those then I guess not, I will check and see what the manual says on TPMS too and let you know.

just checked the manual, doesn't specify about how many SN's can be stored, not a lot of info on them really, sorry couldnt be more help on that one, let me know what you find out though, would like to know.

I'm not able to speak for Ford, but my Toyota dealer charged $38.95 to swap the tires and $49.25 to do the TPMS programming. One of the members on toyotanation.com has his own programming tool. He had a company make it. I'm not sure if it is Toyota specific or if it is universal. I can follow up with him if you wish.

Just wanted to post that every time you change the wheels on your car then you will, in theory, have to have the vehicle re-programmed anyway for the different wheel size if you want your speedometer and fuel mileage sensors to be correct, at least according to the service manual anyway, if you don't care about those then I guess not, I will check and see what the manual says on TPMS too and let you know.
In my case, with the Highlander, switching the 19" with the 17" wheels results in a diameter difference of only .28% meaning that 60mph becomes 60.1 mph so it isn't something I'm concerned about. Doing the 20" swap with 17" on the Explorer will mean a diameter difference of 1.67%. This is still within the recommended 3% limit. 60mph becomes 61mph with the smaller wheel. It also means that your odometer will be adding up those 'Winter' miles a little faster than actual distance driven. Not a concern for me.

one question..... if you swap your original 18s from the XLT, for some original 20s (with original 255/50R20) from the LTD you bough from some guy who went aftermarket.... there should be no diameter difference... I guess. Right ?

And if TPMS sensors aren't put in? Will it just show the warning light on the gauge? I would be fine with that as I check my tire pressures regularly anyways

And if TPMS sensors aren't put in? Will it just show the warning light on the gauge? I would be fine with that as I check my tire pressures regularly anyways
In the U.S. TPMS sensors are required by law on all new vehicles. Government has mandated that Tire Pressure Monitor Systems (TPMS) become standard on all 2008 model year vehicles and beyond.

Total diameter

if you swap your original 18s from the XLT, for some original 20s (with original 255/50R20) from the LTD you bough from some guy who went aftermarket.... there should be no diameter difference... I guess. Right ?

A little geometry, the diameter of a circle, will help. The standard wheel on the XLT, 245/60R18 is 18 + 2*(24.5*.6/2.54) = 29.57 inches. The wheel you mention above is 20 + 2*(25.5*.5/2.54) = 30.04 inches. So about half inch bigger, 1.5 %.

one question..... if you swap your original 18s from the XLT, for some original 20s (with original 255/50R20) from the LTD you bough from some guy who went aftermarket.... there should be no diameter difference... I guess. Right ?
Wrong. Going from the P245/60R18 to P255/50R20 will give you a diameter increase of 1.54%. That means with the 20's you would be doing 59 when your speedo reads 60 mph. There is a simple chart that I use on 1010tires.com website. You put in your OEM size and the size you wish to change to and it will give all the info you require. Once on the site, in the upper right click on Customer Service, then select Tire & Wheel Tech, then chose Tire Size Calculator. It is one of a few handy tools they have.

Wrong. Going from the P245/60R18 to P255/50R20 will give you a diameter increase of 1.54%. That means with the 20's you would be doing 59 when your speedo reads 60 mph. There is a simple chart that I use on 1010tires.com website. You put in your OEM size and the size you wish to change to and it will give all the info you require. Once on the site, in the upper right click on Customer Service, then select Tire & Wheel Tech, then chose Tire Size Calculator. It is one of a few handy tools they have.

Thanks, actually I want to go wider on the wheels, after doing some research, the closest one to the XLT 18's its not even the standard LTD 255/50R20, but the 275/45R20...

Original tire 245/60R18
Sidewall: 5.79 in
Radius: 14.79 in
Diameter: 29.57 in
Circumf: 92.91 in
Revs/mile: 681.94

New Tire 275/45R20
Sidewall: 4.87 in
Radius: 14.87 in
Diameter: 29.74 in
Circumf: 93.44 in
Revs/mile: 678.05

Speedometer reading with new tire is 0.57% too slow.
When your speedometer is reading 60mph you are actually traveling 60.34mph.

TMPS sensors will not have any problem with the new size right ? since they meassure only the PSI inside the rubber... the problem is: will the 275's clear the wheel well ? (but thats another thread)

Razziel24, How is your gas mileage since you've switched tire sizes? Any major difference?

In the U.S. TPMS sensors are required by law on all new vehicles. Government has mandated that Tire Pressure Monitor Systems (TPMS) become standard on all 2008 model year vehicles and beyond.
Correction. Upon further reading of various articles, it seems that the TPMS is mandatory for all OEM wheels on new vehicles from the factory. Once the owner decides to change the wheels, it appears that installing TPMS sensors becomes optional, although highly recommended.

Razziel24, How is your gas mileage since you've switched tire sizes? Any major difference?
Welcome to the Forum LeFurg. :wavey:
I just went the other way, replacing my OEM 20" wheels with the base model 17" steel wheels and 245/65R17 Winter tires + TPMS. I haven't done much driving with them yet but expect my mileage figures to dip slighly since the diameter is now 1.67% smaller.

Peter

Peter,

I have the 20's on my LTD, and have noticed when I was using my handheld GPS, that the truck was traveling 1-1.5 kph slower than the reading on the speedo. Seems like the truck's speedo is set up to read more accurately for the Base or XLT set-up with the smaller rims.

Martin V

can someone clarify...........is there a screen where you can see what the tire pressure is, or do you only get a warning light if one of the tires is low? Thanks!

can someone clarify...........is there a screen where you can see what the tire pressure is, or do you only get a warning light if one of the tires is low? Thanks!

No pressure only a warning light. I got a flat the other day at work and had a warning light for low pressure, did not say what tire only a general low pressure warning. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shoe Here...

Hopefully you are putting the winter tires on your OEM wheels and going to the 22"s for the summer tires. Wider tires "plow" the snow and have more of a foot print on the road. In reality for improves winter driving the narrower the tire the better. I have a 2012 Limited with 22" wheels and have purchased a set of 17" wheels and 245/65R 17 winter tires (base model size).

Regarding the TPMS....the only time you have to have them reprogrammed is if you re-use them (ie swap out summer tires on winters when using the same wheel).
If you purchase new TPMS's they are already pre-programmed for your vehicle....there isn't any "maximum" number of wheels/tires that the system can handle since it is only trying to read the four mounted on your vehicle. They all run off the same frequency...

Back