TPS voltage very high - 01 SOHC owners please read! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPS voltage very high - 01 SOHC owners please read!

bluevolume

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I posted this same question in the "under hood..." group and didn't get a response, I hope someone looking here has some info.

I'm trying to fix some nagging performance/mileage problems and I'm at the TPS right now. Using the information on this board about fine tuning your TPS, and some info in the Haynes manual, I've found something very strange.

The Haynes manual says to check the input voltage to the TPS, which is supposed to be 5.0v. I checked mine and it is 6.5v (ignition on, engine not running).

This thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79362&highlight=adjust+your+TPS
says that the voltage coming back from the TPS at closed TB should be ~.96v. Mine is 1.30v.

Can anyone explain this? Do the 2001 SOHC's have different specs for their TPS'? Is there some voltage regulator pack that's gone bad, or do I need a new computer? HELP!!!

If anyone here has an 01 SOHC and would check their TPS input voltage, I would really appreciate it. The info to do it is on the thread above.

Blue

According to my Haynes with ign on and engine not running, the TPS closed value should be less than 1.5 volts so your 1.3 volts is fine. Opening the throttle to wide open should give a steady increase to 5.0 volts.
Pat Mcmaster.

pmcmaster said:
According to my Haynes with ign on and engine not running, the TPS closed value should be less than 1.5 volts so your 1.3 volts is fine. Opening the throttle to wide open should give a steady increase to 5.0 volts.
Pat Mcmaster.

That is the problem I'm talking about -- the 'increase to 5.0 volts'. My TPS returns around 6.4 volts at WOT. The voltage going into the TPS to begin with is way too high.

Out of desperation I took my Explorer in to a local shop, and they were no help. The technician said that he checked his manuals and it didn't say anything about Ford changing the TPS input voltage, nor could he explain why mine was high.

He suggested that I take it to a Ford dealer, which is really the last thing I want to do.

Back