• Register Today It's free!

Traded for Grand Cherokee

motionmanjim

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I just wanted to say thanks to all that post in this forum. Yesterday I traded my 2012 Explorer Limited for a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited. So far I am pretty happy. I really wanted the Jeep Advanced Technology package, but it is really hard to find unless you custom order or move up to the Overland. I will miss a few of the Ford features, specifically keypad entry (I lock keys in car) and the ability to send POI's to Sync through MapQuest. The uConnect system seems very responsive, and the ability to use Slacker and Pandora is really nice.

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have both a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and also a 2014 Jeep GC Limited (V6 4WD) in True Blue Pearl Coat exterior on New Zealand Black and Light Frost interior (photo below).

Between the two, the Jeep is clearly the better vehicle. The Jeep has quite bit of Benz DNA and it sure feels solid. The Ford, well ... <insert your smart comment here>.

Jeep's fit and finish is quite superior over the Ford. Both vehicles are quiet and comfortable but the edge goes to the Jeep. The Ford is clearly physically bigger (carries 7) yet the Jeep feels more roomy inside (carries 5). The Ford is full of small afterthoughts that should have never passed the factory assembly line inspection.

The UConnect system is very responsive but I do not find it nearly as friendly as Ford's SYNC. One could only hope Ford would really beef up the underlying hardware of the SYNC system.

Both the Jeep and Ford however have some of the worst headlights available on mainstream vehicles. I have the halogen projectors for the Jeep and Bi-Xenon on the Ford. I cannot comment on the Bi-Xenon's of the GC.

This inherited version of the GC was the last one to benefit from the Daimler-Chrysler joint venture before they split up and later on Chrysler merged with Fiat. For the wise comment of Uaglio's, Fiat had no doing on this vehicle.

As a side note this is my 2nd Grand Cherokee (I had a 2013 before this current one). The Ford was my first Explorer, but my 2nd Ford product (2006 Lincoln MKS AWD). This Ford product will be my last, the Jeep will be traded in for a GC 15/'16MY.

Enjoy the GC, it will serve you well.

15165343238_de9b919b85_b.jpg

Bonus winter photo of my Explorer

12453280883_911e93b4cd_o.jpg

Richard - Interestingly enough, I traded a white Limited Explorer for a True Blue Pearl Coat JGC!

The JGC is a beautiful vehicle, one that I would consider but the price of the full load one is getting way up there.

U-Connect was much more refined before it was released, Ford needed to release the latest version 3.6.2 as their introduction version and then the MFT backlash would have been far less damaging.

The big issue for me and others here is 3rd row seating, many of us have to have it or some of the kids have to go on the roof!

Good luck with your JCG!

To each their own.

I like the looks of the Ex better.

Ex has much more cargo capacity and a third row.

JGC does poorly in rollover tests and has had some not so good recalls. Ex power train is solid.

I'll give the JGC better interior appointments and better offroad - especially with air suspension.

My problem with the JGC has always been size. It's just too small of a vehicle for my use and Jeep, or whoever owns them nowadays, seems like they have no interest in rectifying this situation. Jeep quality has also been suspect moving from one manufacturer to another. The quality would have to improve and the size increase before I would ever consider one.

BTW...This incineration??? Incineration is the thermal destruction of waste. Hmmmm, that may actually fit the JGC...LOL

My problem with the JGC has always been size. It's just too small of a vehicle for my use and Jeep, or whoever owns them nowadays, seems like they have no interest in rectifying this situation. Jeep quality has also been suspect moving from one manufacturer to another. The quality would have to improve and the size increase before I would ever consider one.

BTW...This incineration??? Incineration is the thermal destruction of waste. Hmmmm, that may actually fit the JGC...LOL

For the '18 MY the Grand Wagoneer is making a comeback which will have a 3rd row.

Nice Jeep.....It's a great foreign ride ;) :usa:
???
The JGC is manufactured in Detroit at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant.

Peter

??? The JGC is manufactured in Detroit at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant. Peter
I'm guessing he's referring to the Daimler, followed by Fiat ownership. He's from Michigan...he can't help it...

For the '18 MY the Grand Wagoneer is making a comeback which will have a 3rd row.

New Wagoneer will be 50K+ for base model. Being built to compete with Tahoe, Yukon class vehicle not the Explorer.

This was my last foray into the Jeep market. Anyone know the year?

Hal-Jeep.jpg

I'd guess around the 1979 era. Nice 'bell bottoms'. :thumbsup:

Peter

I have both a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and also a 2014 Jeep GC Limited (V6 4WD) in True Blue Pearl Coat exterior on New Zealand Black and Light Frost interior (photo below).

Between the two, the Jeep is clearly the better vehicle. The Jeep has quite bit of Benz DNA and it sure feels solid. The Ford, well ... <insert your smart comment here>.

Jeep's fit and finish is quite superior over the Ford. Both vehicles are quiet and comfortable but the edge goes to the Jeep. The Ford is clearly physically bigger (carries 7) yet the Jeep feels more roomy inside (carries 5). The Ford is full of small afterthoughts that should have never passed the factory assembly line inspection.

The UConnect system is very responsive but I do not find it nearly as friendly as Ford's SYNC. One could only hope Ford would really beef up the underlying hardware of the SYNC system.

Both the Jeep and Ford however have some of the worst headlights available on mainstream vehicles. I have the halogen projectors for the Jeep and Bi-Xenon on the Ford. I cannot comment on the Bi-Xenon's of the GC.

This inherited version of the GC was the last one to benefit from the Daimler-Chrysler joint venture before they split up and later on Chrysler merged with Fiat. For the wise comment of Uaglio's, Fiat had no doing on this vehicle.

As a side note this is my 2nd Grand Cherokee (I had a 2013 before this current one). The Ford was my first Explorer, but my 2nd Ford product (2006 Lincoln MKS AWD). This Ford product will be my last, the Jeep will be traded in for a GC 15/'16MY.

Enjoy the GC, it will serve you well.

15165343238_de9b919b85_b.jpg

Bonus winter photo of my Explorer

12453280883_911e93b4cd_o.jpg

Thanks for posting !

I love my 300C . . . . I think I'll go test drive the JGC !

This was my last foray into the Jeep market. Anyone know the year?

Hal-Jeep.jpg

The vehicle year? The hair, glasses, bell bottoms say late 60's- early 70's.

Does the Jeep have an 8 track in it?

It was the first year Jeep released the Cherokee...1974. Had a 360 cu in 4 barrel V-8 and QuadraTrac.

And yes, it did have an 8 track player! And if you can see it in the picture, it had a Warn Winch on the front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I prefer the looks of the Explorer... Way more Sportier. The Jeep will have more longterm issues I would imagine. I've owned Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge products before... Never again. No matter how much I like the looks and power.

Back