Trailer Brakes ??

dodgechargerfan

Reaction score
City, State
St. Catharines, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer
Hi all,

I have an 02 Eddie Bauer model with the Class III towing package.

The trailer wiring connector under the bumper is a 7-pin, and one of the pins is labled Electronic brakes.

Does that mean I have the electronic brake controller or is that just part of the wiring harness and I need to have a controller installed??

I want to trailer something on Thursday, so if I need to install something, I'll need to get it done tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you are towing a really heavy trailer, then you won't need the brakes. Ford was nice enough to wire it for you. The brake controller looks like a small black box under the dash with a switch to manually lock the trailer brakes.

BTW, Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the info and the welcome.

I've figured out that I don't have the controller.

I really didn't think I would need one but the guy I'm borrowing the trailer from insists on it.

It's a car trailer, but the car I'm trailering is an empty shell.

Anyway, I ran out and picked one up and am ready to install it.

I got a Brakeman compact unit.

How important is it to have this thing within reach?

This is actually my wife's truck and if I put this in plain view, she will have a hissy fit.

I can see the value of the manual switch, but I honestly don't see a need for it in the near future. I can walk up the closest thing to a mountain anywhere near me in less than 30 minutes.

Well, I figured wrong. There's a controller in there already.

At least I assume so.

The connector designated in the wiring harness diagram is already occupied. It's connected to a device with a Motorola logo on it.

There are no other connectors there that are not already connected.

I read the owner's manual.
I read the diagram that was in the storage compartment with the wiring harness and the trailer connector adapter.

That lead me to believe thre was no controller.

Now that I've bought one and hooked it up to the wiring harness provided with the truck, I find out I don't need it.

Good thing I used the vampire clips for it. I can get thos off easy enough and preserve most of the harness.

Live and learn....

Glad to hear about your good news, sorry about the bad news.

Back