Trailer hitch compatibilty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer hitch compatibilty

Riceburner247

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
Wasn't sure where to post this, and being a 1st gen owner, I thought I'd try this forum before I asked the 2nd gen owners. And yes, I tried searching.

Question: Did the rear frame change width at all from the 1st -> 2nd gen? I'm selling an Eaz Lift V5 trailer hitch off of my 1st gen, and a guy with a 99 wants it. Don't wanna sell it to him if it won't work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put on a "Hidden Hitch" that came from a 94, and it slipped right in on my 97 with no problem.

-mc

Awesome, thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Yes, just bought a hitch off a guy's 98 and it bolts right up (well, once I finish drilling two holes - I have two holes already there but the 3rd one is missing closest to the bumper so I'll have to drill those and then it'll have 3 bolts on both sides.

I would add that it was very tempting to just put in the two bolts on each side (one goes on the side and one on the bottom) - ORRRRR, is this how all y'all mounted them - in these two holes per side only and not 3 per side? The 91 Explorer only has two pre-drilled holes per side (one top, one bottom) but the hitch I picked up has a place for 3 each side (one top and two bottom) - which if I drill a hole on each side then I will have three bolts each side - NECESSARY OR NO???

It would bug me and I would wonder every time I towed something...safety first! Learned a lesson the 1st time I towed a work trailer and the guy with me asked, "you taking that trailer to the site" and I said yes to which he replied, "well, you better pull over because it's going through that guy's yard"...will never forget that...

Good to know. I have a line on a hitch for a 97 that I want to put on my 93. I don't mind drilling a hole or two if I need to.

Back