Trailer light circuit fried | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer light circuit fried

regroxx

Reaction score
I just got my brand new 2013 Explorer and hooked up my trailer wiring to the 4 pin connector on the back - lo and behold I wired the trailer plug wrong and while testing it out I could suddenly smell was smoke - dohhhh!!! I unplugged it and found I had it wired wrong. After some testing I determined that all of the lighting on the vehicle seemed to work properly and so did the running lights on the trailer however the brake/signal (both left and right) circuit was fried - yes, I let the magic smoke out that makes these things work. My guess is that the converter circuit is cooked but I have no idea where it is so I can replace it. Any ideas? Help....

Did you check all the fuses? IIRC there are some for the trailer circuit, but I don't have the manual in front of me. Could be a circuit breaker in there, too. Check your manual.

the fuses all check out as good - what next?
Welcome to the Forum regroxx.:wavey:
If the fuses are all okay then obviously they didn't do the job. According to the Owner's Guide fuses 13,14 and 15 would be the likely suspects.
13 and 14 are for the right and left signals and right and left trailer tow lamps and stop lights. Fuse 15 is for the stop lamps and reverse lights. Do you have reverse lights working? It would seem strange that the systems you say don't work are governed by these fuses and you say they are not blown. Seems strange.:scratch:

It would also be helpful for members answering future concerns if you added the model and year to your profile so that it will show in the left margin where your Forum name appears. Some answers/problems are model specific.

BTW, the fuse numbers I gave where from my 2011 Owner's Guide. I assume the 2013 uses the same numbered fuses.

Peter

Back