Anyone knows how to tap into the dome/puddle light circuit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone knows how to tap into the dome/puddle light circuit?

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
What I'm trying to do is install led lighting under the running boards and in the foot wells of the Ex.

My intention is for the lights to come on with the dome and puddle lights when the door is opened or unlocked with the remote.

I wanted to tap into the fuse for the dome or puddle light but I can't find it. Every fuse that I've been told is it or i thought might be it, doesn't shut off those lights when I pull the fuse.

After a while I just started randomly pulling fuses but can't get those lights to shut off.

This is an 02 Explorer Eddie Bauer. It has the remote entry system, I don't know if that plays a role or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a black with light blue stripe wire in the drivers side kick panel area...

take off the hood release handle then pop off the plastic trim panel... there is a harness that runs under that panel with that wire in it... takes a little looking.
Will give you 12 volts when a door is open or when you unlock with the remote.

Thank you.

I actually cut that wire but the light didn't shut off. According to the print that should be the wire. Are you saying I will still get 12v . I didn't test it.

correction. the wire I cut was light blue with black stripe. looking for the black one now. thanks.

found the wire and successfully connected everything. looks great. thanks a lot.

I'll try to take some tonite

All my led lights in cargo lights struggle to last one year. Leds don't like to be dimmed at all by the same means you dim an incandescent. All mine flash when on and then die, beware.

Ok. Thanks. I've had interior LEDS in for well over a year with problem. I guess the only time they dim is when the lights are turning. (which is so cool right!) But I will definitely keep that in mind.

Back