Trailmaster '98-'00 update... | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailmaster '98-'00 update...

Re: Well, hell... more of the same ol' same ol', Ray

Originally posted by GJarrett

And don't let Mr. Chick's concept of customers slip by you... "It is available now, but our customers need to place orders...."

That is his customers, as in his retailers. In other words, we are not his customers (reference his preceding comment that he is sorry he became involved with us). His concept of the market is what his retailers decide to stock. We are a troublesome afterthought, merely the end-users who actually want to utilize his product.

This sounds vaguely familiar. ;) :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Nerves of steel; brain of warthog" :smoke:

:D

98-2000 Ford Explorer 4WD
4" suspension system with SSV shocks $1356.95
Features integrated crossmembers, dual rack steering, new rear leaf springs, drop brackets & SSV shocks.

That is from the National Tire site, http://www.natltire.com. Seems better than the $2000 that some people were saying.

<b>
So, my question would be.......can this at all be converted to a 2WD?</b>

Thanks

William, thanks for the link. That's cheaper than what I am being quoted here in Dallas. I just called them and they HAVE ordered some of these kits to stock, but have not received them yet. I'll keep trying every week or two until they actually receive the kits.

AllllRight!! Despite all the problems, this is the first I've seen of the kit being offered anywhere. I stayed out of the fight, since I won't be making that move for a couple of years, but it did seem to be getting bitter here near the end.

BTW, the link to the page with the springs is:
http://www.natltire.com./pages/ford5.html

It's about mid-page; right under the Ranger lift kit.

Ford Explorer
Lift Price/Pair
4" $311.95
6" 343.95

Seems reasonable.....what company are those leaf springs?

I want one now!! I'm ready to buy!

What does he mean no customers!! If one is available now, I am ready to buy. You guys didn't piss-off the CEO did you??? Do we still get our club discount and how do we get it? I want fly-n-hi to do the install, although my friends are trying to talk me into doing it myself with their help. Rick does their web site and I guess they do work for him here in AZ. It would be the perfect time to do it, since my "Wilderness AT" tires are on recall anyway.

Dead Link Removed

I sent an email to Mr Chick the other day appologizing for what has happened with this whole lift kit fiasco. That is not important to most of you I know, but I still wanted to post his reply.

Jay,
Thank you for your thoughtful message. As mentioned to Juan, R&D projections can be sticky. Interested people want to know when items will be available, often enough things come up to push back a release. That's why it is not uncommon for manufacturers to break an ad for a product that's not available. Essentially management had to roll the dice at least 90 days prior to that ad, because that's the lead time the magazines work with to get a magazine organized, edited and printed. Anyway, we are starting to see orders trickle in for the FB-124SSV kit. 4 Wheel Parts is not one of them as yet. We are shipping kits to Speed
Merchant, (a California chain of stores based out of San Jose) in about 10 days. Jay, give me a read on your location and I will get our Customer Service personnel to steer you to an outlet.
Regards to all in the group.
Jim Chick

I have also requested a list of dealers who will be reciving the kits first, so we know where to buy them. Customer service said it will take a few days befor they will have it ready.

[Edited by JAY on 08-13-2000 at 02:10 PM]

Thanks Jay

Tomorrow I am also going to send the email to him that I wrote, since it was the quote of my post that seemed to set him off.

In its simplest form, the issue is that we greatly appreciate it that his company has decided to respond to us, but the way it was handled concerning the release date was extremely inept. The original release date, per Mr. Chick himself, was announced in May 1999. That should never have happpened. It left many, many of us wishing for a ghost that never appeared (and still hasn't). It is obvious, even now, that he does not realize the level of enthusiasm held toward this product.

There is frustration on both sides and I would hope it would be easy for each of us to understand how the other feels. I will see if he is still sorry he got involved with us. I hope not.

[Edited by GJarrett on 08-13-2000 at 07:43 PM]

good news!

This is good news I followed the link and am siked to see that it is atleast poasted on their sight now all I need to do is save up a little dough and then purchase it my self!!! I cannot wait!

Nat'l Tire

I purchased a set of 36" tires from National Tire a while ago and was very impressed with the service, tires, and speed of delivery. I highly recommend them. I will be using them when I purchase the kit. I too would like to use Fly n Hi for the install and fab of the rear torsion bar mount. After I get settled in AZ maybe Rick can introduce me to the folks there?
Rick

[Edited by ExplorGM on 08-14-2000 at 09:22 AM]

I got a reply from Mr. Chick. We're all friends again :D

Was told kits are available on the 28th!

Fly-n-hi will charge around $2000 installed for the kit. However some Explorers will need a different front drive shaft. It requires special CV joints??? Some Explorers have it, others do not. I was told this will add to the cost. Where and how do we get a discount for our group?

The shaft will be a dual cardan one, it is also longer the original. About $400

Mark, you can get a custom driveshaft built at Dicks Driveshaft in Phoenix. They are located on East McDowell. Their quality is excellant and prices are good.

I'm glad to sse things have gotten better between us and Trailmaster. Jim told me today that he is having his sales dept getting local retailers to order the kits. This will help out in making the kit more readily available to those who want it.

HAve to wait in Oz

Well. Just read the last six pages. Looks like I have a long wait to get a kit into Australia. I may end up doing a custom job myself. I just gave up trying to find a decent roof console here that was stong enough to hold both my UHF and 27meg radios, well that's if I didn't want to pay $500.00 for one. I made my own and it's come up a treat, better than a bought one. My wife even almost got a perfect match on the roof lining material too.

Help

Hey all, I need some advice

I have some questions about the subjects markhas brought up.

With the Trailmaster lift kit it was stated that some Xplorers will need a new front drive shaft and replacement CV joints (a given).

Is it possible to know if the drive shaft will have to be replaced before the install or does the kit need to be in before one can tell?

Where is the best place to obtain a new drive shaft? Made up locally or can one mail order it? If mail order is the answer then is there a reputable and recommended manufacture for one?

On the CV joints I take it is a given that these will need to be replaced with the kit. How can I find quality replacements and will they have to be custom made? Where would I go to purchase these, any recommendations?

Any recommendations on new brake lines? (manufacture,type)

Does any on the site know of a reputable installer in the Maryland area to have the kit installed?

I also called a couple of tire places to find out if they test fit one 31" on my Xplorer and they said they wouldn't do any test fits. That dosen't make sense to me its not like I asked to have all four put on just one. I guess they don't need my business.

Is there any other things that I should anticpate having problems with on the install?

Sorry about all the questions,
Thanks for any responses and any would be greatly appreciated,
Alan
98 Xplorer

Alan, The CV that they are talking about is the one on the front of the transfercase that goes to the front drive shaft. It might work and it might not. You'll find out after the kit is installed. If it need to be replaced. It will need to be a dual cardan CV. My understanding is that Trailmaster will sell you a new drive shaft, but you would have to talk to someone there to be able to give them information on say drive shaft length, or whatever. check for any local 4X4 shop and they might be able to tell you who around there might be able to make you one if you want to do it locally.
I can't help you on the brake lines.
I answered your question about tires on your other post.
I can't help you on the local stuff, but if you look in the phone book under 4X4 or automotive, you should be able to find someone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alan, Ray is right. The problem is partly the CV that attaches to the Transfer case, the other problem is the length. If you look at your rear shaft you will see there is a boot in the middle. This means your shaft is formed out of 2 cardans. This allows for extension and retraction of your rear shaft. (the boot just protects the link. If you look at your front shaft, it is a one piece unit. No allowance for length changes, so as you lift the truck, it may not make it. And if it does, the angle may bee too sharp for the CV and it will rip it.

No worries, the shop where you install the lift will be able to tell you whether the shaft wil work or not. You can drive your truck with no problem at all without the front shaft. Be prepared to spend about $400 on a new one, your existing one is useless, you can't modify it. Also, the place where you get the new shaft will need to order a Ford part to make it fit into the transfer case. They should know this as well. I took mine to a place here in So. Cal, called Powertrain Industries http://www.powertrainindustries.com/.

I will post some pictures of my front shaft as soon as I'm done with the current roll.

Good luck!!!

Oh, and NO CV changes on your wheels, those are not affected by the lift, unless you cranck your torsion bars all the way after the lift kit. Something you can do with or without th lift kit.

Back