• Register Today It's free!

Tranfer case oil/Torque converter

Jonboy2002

Reaction score
City, State
Lynn Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport
Hey guys! So I've been trying to trouble shoot some problems with my 2002 Explorer Sport. I have been reading through some very informative threads. My car is bucking and won't dive past an idle, and the o/d off light is blinking. I thought maybe it was the 4wd selector, so I pulled the transfer case shift motor off and manually shifted the shaft into 2wd. Didn't fix my problem. I was then thinking it was the torque converter and realized that my tranny fluid was quite high. I (naively) Thought that draining the fluid from the transfer case would also drain my tranny. Clearly not the case, but the fluid was very dark and low. The transfer case just takes the same ATF as the tranny correct? Also, is there a better way to drain tranny fluid besides dropping the pan? I would like to avoid messing with the gasket etc if I could help it. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance... Cheers!

Really no way to drain the fluid without dropping the pan. Some people pick up a drain fitting and while the pan's out install the drain. Doesn't help you this time but any future work will be easier and a lot less messy.

I'd get the codes checked.

That happened to me on the highway once. I pulled off and took the cables off the battery. Went in and grabbed something to eat and came back out. Hooked the battery back up and drove away. That might not fix yours but its worth a shot.

Back