• Register Today It's free!

tranny died

95ex

Reaction score
City, State
Walnuit Creek CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
I have a 95 XLT 4WD w/140000 mi on it. I had the tranny rebuilt 2 yrs ago and last night I raced the motor to smooth it out and when I shifted back into drive it clunked and quit. Revving the motor makes it move a bit and switching to 4 wheel low enabled me to move a little in reverse! I really don't want to pay a ton of $$ to get it fixed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm sorry to say but i don't think you're going to have much of a choice here. i'm on my third one. you're gonna proboby need it rebuilt or buy one, because once they go, they are never the same!

I would get a used one from a junk yard. Much cheaper..

Hopefully I did the lifetime thing at AAMCO... or the 3 year. I guess it's tiem for something new.. Thanks.

yeah i agree with the junkyard...i saw some advertised around here for a couple hundred dollars.

If you want to find it from the junk yard, make sure you or someone else that you know, can inspect the tranny before you buy it.

Could it just be the torque converter clutch stuck on? The engine runs fine in P or N, it just dies when you put it in gear? Here's a quck test. lift the wheels of the ground (If you only lift the rear wheels, make sure the control trac isn't going to send any power to the front), then start it and put it in gear. If the wheels take off and it runs fine, apply the brakes until the wheels stop, and see if the engine stalls as well.

It's a 95 with control trac so he needs to have all 4 wheels lifted in the air, or he could cut the x-fer case cltuch activation wire, but it would probally be easier to raise both ends.

The '95 has the 2WD option, so all he has to do is lift the rear w/it in 2WD.

My bad, I thought control-trac started in 95. Well that'll make things easier.

It did, but in 95 & 96, they came 2WD / Auto / 4Low. Ford started the Auto all the time in '97 w/ 4Hi and 4Low when they determined the system was robust enough to run in auto full time.

And then I came along, ripped it out, and put a relay inline so I wouldn't have to deal with it.:p

Sorry, I digress

Back