Tranny fluid change at Lube Shop..have questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid change at Lube Shop..have questions

astrochimp

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Local shop uses the T-tech flush system.
I don't think they drop the pan but doesn't this flush out the filter also?
I don't know what fluid they use to replace, but it seems as though MOBIL 1 would be a Far better choice if I buy it first and bring it there?
What Spec Tranny fluid do i need?

Also, is an aftermarket cooler or filter more important?
I was thinking of adding a secondary filter if it's not too expensive or isn't too difficult to install.

1998 XLT 4WD v6sohc

My ford tranny on my MX6 just Puked and I don't want my explorer to be next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't believe everything you read, flush ain't a power nothing. Depending on the miles, the filter needs to be changed. This has a microfelt filter and there is no way to back flush it. Another poster went around to a half dozen quickee shops and found they all used Mercon/Dexron III with a bottle of additive to make it Mercon V instead of real semi synth Mercon V. Your pan will have sediment that needs to be cleaned out. An extra cooler is the best thing to get. I have an external filter, but it is mostly for extra cooling and fluid it adds. If your fluid is getting nasty, it is because it is geting hot. Your transmission can live with old fluid, but not seals that are getting heat damage.

Opera House said:
Don't believe everything you read, flush ain't a power nothing. Depending on the miles, the filter needs to be changed. This has a microfelt filter and there is no way to back flush it. Another poster went around to a half dozen quickee shops and found they all used Mercon/Dexron III with a bottle of additive to make it Mercon V instead of real semi synth Mercon V. Your pan will have sediment that needs to be cleaned out. An extra cooler is the best thing to get. I have an external filter, but it is mostly for extra cooling and fluid it adds. If your fluid is getting nasty, it is because it is geting hot. Your transmission can live with old fluid, but not seals that are getting heat damage.

thanks a Bunch

how much/how hard was it to install external filter?

I just bought the filter mount for $12, complete kits ae about $29. Hard thing is trying to find a place to mount it. I mounted mine in the drivers wheel well 1/2 inch from the bumper. Had to make a special Z bracket to hold it. I just cut the tranny line and slipped hose over it with tripple clamps.

Opera House said:
I just bought the filter mount for $12, complete kits ae about $29. Hard thing is trying to find a place to mount it. I mounted mine in the drivers wheel well 1/2 inch from the bumper. Had to make a special Z bracket to hold it. I just cut the tranny line and slipped hose over it with tripple clamps.
after all the reading I've done...
I've concluded, EVEN though you don't remove all the fluid by dropping the pan, dropping it urself is Better than doing the T-Tech tranny flush at quicklube.
You get to replace the filter, clean out the pan and Use the fluid you choose.
This seems to be much more important than getting every drop of fluid out.
Maybe if i did this, instead of quicklube flush, my mx6 tranny might still be alive
I'll never know.

Back