tranny fluid

whoathere

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
tranny fluid/ Help

My ex leaks tranny fluid... it's a very slow leak, and it comes from the bottom line that hooks up to the radiator. It's that fitting which is a PITA to get to, and it only leaks a little bit, doesn't leave spots on the ground or anything, but about every 5k miles or so, I have to add about a half/full quart. My question is, I'm pretty sure its getting time to add some tranny fluid, and I picked some up last night, and I bought synthetic, is it OK to add synthetic fluid to the fluid that is already in the transmission? The fluid that is currently in there is motorcraft mercon V ATF, not synthetic or anything. I'm just wondering if mixing it is going to do any harm. Next week I am taking it in and have a flush and filter change, and I'm having synthetic put in. I also am considering adding a tranny cooler that way I dont have to worry about it leaking from those steel lines/fittings. So, is it OK to add synthetic to the tranny for the time being?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just add cheaper Mercon V fluid for now.. and then save the Full Synthetic for after you do the Trans Filter and Drain Pan.

-Tim

Well, when I went back today, I realized why I bought the synthetic, they didn't have any of the regular mercon V fluids available, all they had was the synthetic...

I did run across a little bit of a problem today tho... Last night when I drove the Ex, when it would shift from 2nd to 3rd, it would try to shift at just over 2k rpms, and then it would jump up to 2500, and then shift. Only from 2nd to 3rd, none of the other shifts, and the downshifts were fine. I thought it might have just been because it was weather related, and I only drove it 3 blocks at the most. Then I drove it home after going to the store, and it did it on the way home too.

Well, this morning, I changed the plugs to autolite plat's and I also added one quart of the synthetic fluid. I went to go to some christmas shopping, and the 2nd to 3rd problem was still happening... Well, then after about 3 miles, the O/D light began flashing. As soon as this happened, I could tell the X was in limp mode. So, I turned around, and drove it home, it was noticeably different, but it only did the weird shift 1 time the whole way home. I took it nice and easy and came home, when I got here, I cycled through the gears, and when going from Reverse to Drive, it was rough, no grinding noise or anything, but it was kinda jerky, and the brake was fully applied. I shut the truck off, and turned it back on a few minutes later, and there is no light. This is common I know, but I just wonder what could be wrong now, the problem just started yesterday, and it was on a drive for <3 blocks. The Transmission has never had one single problem before, and only has 69,000 miles. Any ideas? Im wondering if the filter/fluid flush and all that will help this???

Do I have to take it to a dealer, or could a trans shop scan it??

If it is read through the OBD II, then my uncle has a really nice scanner that I could use to read the code.

Any decent scanner should pull the codes. You don't need to go to the dealership.

Be careful driving it the way it is. You can damage the transmission further by driving it while it's in limp mode.

When the OD light flashes, the PCM raises the transmission internal fluid pressure to help get the unit to shift. It's kind of a transmission limp mode. You can get the light to go off by simply turning the key off and on, but you have to reset the PCM to get the limp mode to reset.

Your problem could be as simple as low fluid causing the limp mode or it could be as big as a major internal problem. In any event, get the codes read before you reset the PCM, add some fluid, and try it again. If the problem comes right back, you have more than a low fluid issue. You will need a good transmission technician at that point.

Well, I'm gonna get the codes scanned tomorrow, and I'll post them here/search to see what they are saying. In any event, looks like next week I'll be taking it in for the flush and filter change and all that, good thing this transmission shop is about 2 blocks from here.

So even though the light is not on anymore, the transmission is still in limp mode, once it has gone to limp mode before? And when the light is not flashing, the code will still be there?

Also, what do you guys think about the aux tranny cooler... should i just have the fittings replaced/fixed, or just cut into those steel lines and run a tranny cooler?

Reading codes for ABS, SRS, transmission, etc? I know that the M1005 could do all of this, but it's very expensive.

If I were to get one to do all that, it would be Snap On. When I need these codes read ( only once ), I go to a friends shop and use his Snap On.

I am concerned with only engine codes and my Auto X Ray scanner works perfectly for that purpose. Also my SCT programmer will read the engine codes.

He has his own garage, which is why he has the scanner. You have to go through the menu and pick what year of car it is, brand, blah blah blah, and then it will can the codes. You can delete them with it, you can also read data and stuff on it. I know it was really expensive, but he's had it a while. It's big and blue and has a lot of buttons on it, if that helps anyone, I guess I'll just have to ask him when I get home from work.

Have him read the code(s) and bring them to us... the actual numeric code, not a definition.

Transmission codes are either P0700 - 799 or P1700 - 1799.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, well I got the codes read tonight. When I started the scan, it said 4 codes were found. The first 2, p0171 and p0174, lean in both banks. I knew those were coming, so I wasn't surprised. Anyway, the other two codes it "found" were p0000. My uncle said that he always gets those codes, and doesn't know why. We think that maybe the codes weren't shown, because they haven't been stored. Do the codes have to be thrown a certain amount of times in order to show up on a scan? The O/D off light has only been flashing 1 time, and I have only driven it once since then(tonight). I'm wondering what you guys think about this. I cleared the codes, and the transmission is still in limp mode. This week I will have it in for the fluid flush and filter change, as well as to have that fitting replaced/fixed. Glacier, I am open to your alternatives to replacing the EPC, but hopefully I can keep from having to even go that far.

Back