Mercon or Mercon V (or synthetic) in the Transfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercon or Mercon V (or synthetic) in the Transfer case?

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
Changing fluids on my wife's 2002 Limited 4.6 AWD, note that the owner's manual recommends Mercon ATF, not Mercon V (as required for the tranny).

Any thoughts and experience with using Mercon V (or other aftermarket full synthetic) in the transfer case?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the best ATF that you can, meaning that Mercon V is better than Mercon. You can't find much Mercon any longer, some parts stores still have a little left. The best synthetics are also the best for the transfer case. I have Amsoil ATF in my 99 4WD TC, and soon in my 98 4WD TC. Good luck,

The transfer case is not as picky as the transmission when it comes to fluids so really, almost anything will work in there.

You can use Mercon if you want. Mercon V is better than Mercon, and Mobil 1 is better than Mercon V.

Chrysler type ATF+4 embarassed Mercon/DexronIII/ATF+2 when measuring chain stretch, general tranny wear(gears bearings...) in Chrysler transmissions. It would be an economical upgrade that exceeds Dex/Mer/cheap ATFs.

I use Mobil 1 ATF and change it every 30,000 miles.

Transfer cases need the highest quality fluids just like a trans. The AWD viscous clutches, and the clutches in most modern TC(auto 4WD) etc, they need the best fluids. That was the first recommendation my old trusted Ford Shop Foreman told me four years ago.

The Mercon is no longer manufactured. The newest standard has been Mercon V for a long time. Mercon V is now the proper replacement for Mercon. Mercon is dead, it was Mercon I, as in not Mercon III or Mercon V, the I(one) is implied.

Mercon is still on the shelves in some stores, but all new Ford spec fluid is Mercon V. If it is labeled as Mercon, it is Mercon I, not Mercon V. GM has a new Dexron VI, it will undoubtedly replace Dexron III soon as well.

No Don
The new "mercon" says right on the label it is replacement for all mercon fluids-including mercon V. Brand new bottles are labeled "mercon"

It is actually mercon V-as it works for all apps. This was a good move, as now shelf space is less confusing, and costs for producing several formulations have been eliminated.

I have not heard that, and that would be stupid. In stores that I have looked in(O'Reilly's and Advance), they have both Mercon and Mercon V on the shelves. The Mercon is the old Mercon, made before July of last year.

They would not eliminate the standard of Mercon V and revert back to the name of Mercon as the new standard. Look at oil standards, I can recall SE and SF as current standards, now we are many steps past that.

That would be like calling an SG oil an SF, to keep the old name, "to not confuse anyone." They did not do that, they have not done that with ATF.

Ford's Mercon V standard is still the Mercon V standard, and should be called Mercon V. Now I understand lots of people, and businesses do stupid things. I recognize that, and that could be the case here. If it really is, that would be stupid, not appropriate because they said so, but stupid. Where did you read or hear that, I get tired of dealing with such poor decisions?

Here's an interesting chart from last April, before Mercon died; http://www.txchange.com/merconv.htm

This link to an Amsoil page declares their warantee and the confusion that some bad Mercon V ATF has caused with dealerships;http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq4.aspx

This is a quote of the essential part of it; "...Problem: AMSOIL INC. has been informed that some AMSOIL Dealers and their customers have experienced problems with their local Ford Dealership service department when bringing in the new AMSOIL Universal ATF for installation in their Ford vehicle transmission. They have been told that: A) You cannot put a Mercon V labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon application. B) That you cannot put a Mercon labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon V application (this is true). C) That you cannot put a dual usage labeled ATF product in the Mercon application or the Mercon V application. Since the new AMSOIL Universal Transmission Fluid is labeled dual usage, recommended for both Mercon and Mercon V applications, some Ford Dealership service managers are telling their customers that if they put the AMSOIL Universal ATF product in their transmission it will void their transmission warranty.

Answer: At least one oil companys ATF product with a Mercon V rating does not also meet Mercon performance requirements. This has apparently caused a great deal of confusion about allowing Mercon V ATF to be back serviceable in Mercon applications. The AMSOIL Universal ATF has been formulated to meet or exceed both the Mercon and Mercon V specification, as well as G.M. Dexron III and Chrysler ATF+4. It is fully supported through documented testing. It is recommended for and can be used in ALL of the applications listed on the label. PERIOD.

If someone is misinformed on this issue and actually denies a manufacturers warranty coverage because of the use of AMSOIL Universal ATF Fluid in one of the applications for which it is recommended by AMSOIL INC., the AMSOIL Warranty coverage would apply. The consumers transmission would be repaired under the AMSOIL Warranty. AMSOIL INC. and our insurance company will legally pursue the dealership or the manufacturer to recover our costs. AMSOIL INC. would not make the recommendations on our label, or issue this statement, if we were not completely confident of our position on this matter. While we cannot control what individuals say about this subject, we can and do insure that consumers can use our product with complete confidence and without risk. "

The Mercon and Mercon V are different standards, not the same. Ford has approved the use of Mercon V in older Mercon required applications. Don't use a Mercon fluid in a Mercon V application.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=06-14-4

ACTION:

Beginning immediately all automatic transmission / transaxle applications requiring MERCON® can now be serviced using MERCON® V or MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid or dual usage fluids labeled MERCON® / MERCON® V. After July 1, 2007, MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid will no longer be manufactured, therefore, availability of this fluid will only continue for however long it takes to deplete what remains in inventory.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:

Service automatic transmissions requiring MERCON® with MERCON® V or MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid or dual usage fluids labeled MERCON® / MERCON® V.

CAUTION: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS / TRANSAXLES THAT REQUIRE MERCON® V SHOULD STILL ONLY USE MERCON® V OR DUAL USAGE FLUID LABELED MERCON® / MERCON® V.

Regular Mercon no longer exists in a licensed form; the name is no longer licensed by Ford. It is now labeled: Dex/Merc by oil companies. They (oil companies)are no longer legally required to meet the Mercon standard if they dont want to.

It would be unwise to purchase any "DEX/MERC equivalent" fluids as the contents are unknown. There are much better options for the TC now; like a quality synthetic ATF.

I once ran a BW4405 with regular gear oil for maybe 1,500 miles, and no ill effects.

To reiterate, the transfer case fluid is not as critical as the transmission -- its not being pressurized and sent through the orifices at high pressures.

I disagree, the TC fluid is important, I will not cheap out on fluid for it to save $2. The TC needs good fluid, buy the best that you can.

Mercon fluid is still available in most parts stores. The licenses which expired were for the making of the fluid, not the sales of it. Those stores that still have it will sell it until it's gone.

This is wrong; "...It is now labeled: Dex/Merc by oil companies. They (oil companies)are no longer legally required to meet the Mercon standard if they dont want to..."
The labeling of fluids made has not changed, and no one can legally label fluids now to claim to meet the Mercon standards, that would be illegal. What fluid is found with a Mercon claim on it(or Mercon and anything else), is either properly made before last July, or it's illegally produced since then.

Just FYI.....I wonder why they hesitate to use Mercon V in the T-Case?

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ansfer Case Fluid&category=Transmission Fluid

May 18, 2007

To: All Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Dealerships
Subject: MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid To Be Discontinued

BACKGROUND
Effective July 1, 2007, the production and licensing of MERCON Automatic Transmission Fluid will cease. These actions are not exclusive to Motorcraft and affect all producers of MERCON. MERCON V provides significant performance improvements over MERCON especially with transmission shift performance at low temperatures and anti-shudder.

SERVICING FORMER MERCON APPLICATIONS

Automatic Transmission, Power Steering Systems and Manual Transmissions previously requiring MERCON must now be serviced with MERCON V
Transfer Case Systems previously calling for MERCON must now be serviced using Transfer Case Fluid, part number XL-12, specification # ESP-M2C166-H (release and TSB pending). Power steering systems listed in TSB 07-1-7 can continue to be service with Premium Power Steering Fluid, XL-9 or F7AZ-3F823-BA (specification # WSA-M2C195-A).
Ford does not recommend the use of any products that do not meet the above specifications or ATFs that claim to be the equivalent of MERCON or being acceptable for these applications.

PART NUMBERS TO BE OBSOLETED

XT-2-QDX MERCON Quart bottles
XT-2-DDX MERCON 55 Gallon Drums
XT-2-TDX MERCON Totes
XT-2-BDX MERCON Bulk
NEW PART NUMBER RELEASED EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2007

XL-12, Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid Quart is scheduled for release August 1, 2007.
Please see your Motorcraft Ford Authorized Distributor or Bulk Oil Distributor for availability

PART NUMBERS NOT AFFECTED BY THESE CHANGES

XL-9 Power Steering Fluid
F7AZ-3F823-BA Power Steering Fluid

Perhaps I am a moron, but I am still confused, the way I read it in some places, both fluids are acceptable.

Thats not very confusing -- both fluids are acceptable.

protomind said:
So I SHOULD not use the mercon V in my transfer case then?
My local auto part store does not carry the ford transfer case fluid. Is there a synthetic alternative that you know of?

I just called my ford dealer, they told me USE MERCON V, and that XL-12 is a friction modifier.
I'm going to answer this PM out here so other people can respond too.

Where did you get the idea that MerconV should not be used?

Its as simple as this: go to your local parts store, pick up however many quarts you need of Mercon or MerconV and get busy. There is no separate friction modifier needed.

Ok, I am about to install the mercon v then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back