• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Flush or Pan Drop

Lee S.

Reaction score
City, State
Northport, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Okay........I've read all the threads and I'm totally confused about what to do.

I bought a used 98X 4dr 4wd sohc with 5sp auto with 51K (56k on it now). Not sure what maintenence was done by prior owner. Yesterday I changed the transfer case fluid and alltough the old fluid level was good it looked to brownish for my liking. Now I want to do the right thing by the transmission. What would you guys do? Drop the pan and change the filter? Or do a complete flush and then drop the pan and change the filter?

Past threads have talked about not doing a flush on higher mileage cars.....not sure whether 56K is considered higher mileage. Also I do not know what Fords scheduled transmission maintenence consists of.....Does Ford do a flush and complete fluid replacement on scheduled maintenence or do they just drop the pan and change the filter? Presumably one of these would have been done By Ford at the 30K maintenence interval. If Ford does a flush then I should probably do another one since I'm approaching 60K. If Ford just does a pan drop and filter change then should I just do the same at 60K?

Any good advice out there for me?

Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would definatelu do the complete flush followed by a pan drop and filte change. I also highly recommend the addition of an external spin on filter.

I would definately refill with synthetic ATF.

Good luck....

56K is not a high mileage at all. Ford actually recommends changing the tranny oil at 60k.

This is where I put my external filter that Aldive speaks of.

Attachments

• remote tranny filter 002.jpg
    remote tranny filter 002.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 469

If you just drop the pan & change the filter you are doing more than 90% of owners do.
If the fluid doesnt look too bad I'd just change filter & continue to do so once a year.
If your going to tow or offroad it a lot I would install a cooler & external filter.
Either way put a drain plug in your pan when you remove it. Really makes it less messey the next change.

When you drop the pan only, you are replacing only a fraction of the old fluid.

Thank Guys;

Does anyone know what Fords 60K trasnission service is. Do they completly flush and replace the fluid or just drop the pan and change the filter? I ask this because if it's a complete flush i just might let Ford do it. The threads I've read show the flush is a two-man job. The wife is worth about a half a man although I suppose i could get my 10 year old daughter to help.

XFactor and Aldive-can either of you tell me where to get the external filter? Does it just use standard oil filter cartridges? Does fluid leak out when you change the filter?

Thanks for all your quick replies.

Lee

Originally posted by Lee S.
I ask this because if it's a complete flush i just might let Ford do it. The threads I've read show the flush is a two-man job. The wife is worth about a half a man although I suppose i could get my 10 year old daughter to help.

XFactor and Aldive-can either of you tell me where to get the external filter?

Does it just use standard oil filter cartridges? Does fluid leak out when you change the filter?

I got mine from Summit Racing.

All the second person need do is start the truck and turn it off.

No fluid leaks out.

I have talked to a few tranny shops here in CT, and inquiring about what to do, I full flush or just dropping the pan....95% only drop the pan so I started to ask why not a flush and many stated that they don't recommend a flush because the high pressure of the flush can harm the seals.....

Since my fluid looks pretty decent, I am going to drop the pan and replace it with one that has a drain plug that way I can change the (portion of) of the fluid annually.

If you do the flush yourself, there is no additional ( other than tranny ) pressure involved.

Just out of curiosity, how you you go about putting a drain plug in your tranny pan? Do you have to buy a new pan with the drain already installed or is there some sort of aftermarket kit that's realitively easy to install in the old pan?

Lee

I have never installed one since I( prefer to flush.

Nobody would only drain 2 quarts of oil from their motor and then just add 2 quarts back during an oil change,,,, then why would you do the same with your tranny?

Just out of curiosity, how you you go about putting a drain plug in your tranny pan? Do you have to buy a new pan with the drain already installed or is there some sort of aftermarket kit that's realitively easy to install in the old pan?

Lee
would like to know as well. im not too keen on drilling one myself but i could install an aftermarket pan on there

I completely understand what you're saying Al. However if i'm understanding correctly what goes on with the tranny maintainence establishments (tranny shops, Ford service people, etc) then a pan drop and filter change is all they are doing.

Okay, my thought is I start out with a flush which i do myself. This allows me to get the fluid perfectly clean. Then I install the external filter. Then I drop the pan and replace the internal filter and gasket, put a drain plug in the pan and refill with tranny fluid. From this point forward now I can set up a regular tranny fluid maintance plan. I can change the external tranny filter at regular intervals (say when I change my motor oil or whatever). I assume I would be putting in another quart of fresh tranny fluid with the external filter change. Then say every 2 or 3 motor oil changes I also drain the tranny pan thru the drain plug. Assuming I will need to replace 2 quarts then along with the quart for the external filter that would make 3-5 new quarts of fresh tranny fluid every say 9000k (depending on how often I change the external filter). Then maybe ever 20,000k i drop the pan and change the internal filter if that is even all that necessary (i've heard that the internal filters don't do all that much and considering the external filter will catch far more of the bad stuff)). While this is not to the extent that you go to with your regular flushes it still seems way more than what Ford or Tranny shops will do and it also a heck of a lot easier than the full flush and having to go thru 12-14 quarts with every flush. Seems to me to be a happy medium which is still way over the normal service requirements.

Anyway that's why I asked about the drain plug kit. I'm thinking let me get this all set up before I start the flush and I should be 'good to go' in the future.

Lee

Your plan to flush then drop pan and chamge filter, add external filter is very wise.

However, based on experience, once you add the external filter, you will probably never need to change the internal one, therefore, why install a drail ( a potential leak area ).

The flush method is so simple if you have the external filter, its a 20 min, max. job.

Just my opinion; I like to keep it simple.

Flush then drain, you got to be kidding. Take the pan off, install the new filter, then pump it out. Why add clean fluid to dirty fluid and sediment in the pan.

Originally posted by Opera House
Flush then drain, you got to be kidding. Take the pan off, install the new filter, then pump it out. Why add clean fluid to dirty fluid and sediment in the pan.

Correct, sorry, I put in improper order.

Does an external filter add any resistance to the fluid flow?

XFactor and Aldive-can either of you tell me where to get the external filter?
I got it at Summit Racing and paid $28.69. Actually it's $28.69 + $8.45 handling fee but free shipping! lol ... :D

I think it uses Fram 8A. Same as your engine oil filter in your Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone think it would be possible to have someone continually pour transmission fluid in as you have the lines open and pouring in a container such that you could pour in 16 qts of fluid non-stop and have a flush in a matter of minutes?

I imagine all you would have to do is pick up a plastic garbage pail at a $ store and mark it at the16qt mark that way you know exactly when to turn off the truck????

Back