Tranny Flush or Pan Drop | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Flush or Pan Drop

After doing it several times, I would say that what you suggest is very possible and is how I plan to do it next time.

I use a 5 gal bucket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

B M Trans drain plug. Got mine at AutoZone.

Attachments

• merc trans drain plug.jpg
    merc trans drain plug.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 285

Al:

From reading other threads about this it seems you find it pretty easy to flush right off of your external filter. Seems like you would rather do the complete flush than drop the pan. So how often do you drop the pan in order to at least service the internal filter with your set up? Or do you even need an internal filter at all? ie; can you just remove the internal filter and rely only on the external? If so you might not ever need to drop the pan.

As mentioned in my earlier reply I intend to do the flush and external filter with the synthetic like you recommend. Just wondering how to deal with the internal filter down the road.

Lee

I looked at it about 25k miles after the externall; looked new. Havn't touched it since and will probably never again. I am not saying that is the way to do it, just that is the way I do it.

Al:

Okay... I guess thats the way to do it.

Thanks for the ifo.

Lee

That is how we flush the tranny on our '92.

I take 1 line (rubber line) off the external filter and put on a nice long rubber line. I put it into a 5 gallon bucket (I have it marked where 3 gallons is).

I think take 3 1 gallon ATF bottles (I got them from Kmart for $4 each).

I had the bottles open, had someone start the truck and I poured them in as fluid came out of the X. I was able to keep up. When the 5 gallon bucket had 3 gallons in it, I had about 1 quart of fluid left in the last gallon container.

I had almost no mess, and it took 10 minutes to flush. Normally I don't flush the system since I replace the external filter (holds 1 quart) every 6-9k miles anyway. I flushed it this time since neither my Tranny or Xfer case had the breather hose on for about a month (I drive on dirt roads). I fixed the governor (sticking) and then flushed the system. I know I had dirt in there.

~Mark

Just remember that the in pan filter is at the inlet of the the pump. Any sediment from the clutch material will still get trapped in the internal filter first. An external filter does not eliminate droppping the pan and replacing the filter. Esternal filter is a massive improvement over the metal screen pan filters. You don't have to buy those screen filters anymore now that the newer transmissions have the improved filter media that fits the older A4LD.

Hey guys

Ive been reading this thread because I have been thinking about going out and servicing my tranny but dont much about it at all. I was going to take it to a shop but they wanted 300$ and i dont have that kind of cash. My tranny has 86k miles on it. I was going to flush it but i read that ur not supposed to on high milage trannys cuz it can mess it up. Should I just drop the pan and change the internal filter and the fluid? How do I know how much fluid to refil it with since you guys said it doesnt drain it all? Also is there ne place besides online to get this external filter? And where does that filter connect to?

I paid $125.00 to get a complete fliud change and filter change on my 99 Mounty with 87,000 miles, i am the second owner,just as I suspected the tranny had never been serviced...Runs/shifts smooth as silk know

Originally posted by Afboy143
My tranny has 86k miles on it. I was going to flush it but i read that ur not supposed to on high milage trannys cuz it can mess it up.

Should I just drop the pan and change the internal filter and the fluid?

How do I know how much fluid to refil it with since you guys said it doesnt drain it all?

Also is there ne place besides online to get this external filter?

And where does that filter connect to?

I am going to flusj mine again very soon with 90k on it.

It would be good to drop the pan and change the filter too.

Measure what comes out, and then refill with the same amount.

I am not aware of other sources, sorry.

So this is what i should do...

Drop the pan and install a new filter. Put the pan back on and install the external filter. After that flush it out like moniak described how to do. Im sorry if i ask too many questions i never have done nething like this b4

Always ask questions, my friend, always.

Yes, sounds like a plan,

Good luck......

So how exactly do i install this external filter? If i buy it does it come with the instructions on how to do it? And is it hard? And did you buy urs on summitracing also?

And for the flushing...
I hear dropping the pan is no fun at all, ess. if its ur first time and that stuff goes everywhere. How am I suppose to measure all the liquid that comes out when i drop it. Because I read in the book that too much or too little fluid can cause damage to the tranny. Can i get kind of a detail explination of what to do here

Here is how I flushed:

I disconnected the “to transmission” hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8” line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

We used 15 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF.

Even though this ATF ( Mobil 1 ) has about 40 k miles on it, it still looked remarkably good, slightly darker in color.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 20 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.

A pan drop & filter change takes appx. 4 qts. on V6 & 5 qts. on V8.
It is appx. so be sure to use your dipstick to measure.

how many quarts does the tranny take

Does anyone know the proper procedure for installing the external tranny filter?

I'm thinking that i first drop the pan, change the internal filter and replace pan with a new gasket. I'm assuming with the tranny 4 quarts (or so) low from the pan drop that this would be the best time to install the external filter (not sure how much of a mess taking off the cooler lines creates but i'd like to minimize the mess if possible)...is this correct?

Next, I assume I replace the 4 quarts of tranny fluid (from the pan drop) with new fluid, make sure the level is correct, check for leaks etc and I'm done for now.... Is this correct?

Now since I have the setup installed I should probably drive it for a while (to mix and filter the old and the new fluid combo) and then do a complete flush and external filter change in say something like 500 miles or so....Is this correct?

I'm not sure that I'm planning this out correctly so any help or advice is appreciated. I'm looking to start this project this weekend and just want to make sure my ducks are in order.

Thanks,

Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Lee S.
I'm thinking that i first drop the pan, change the internal filter and replace pan with a new gasket. I'm assuming with the tranny 4 quarts (or so) low from the pan drop that this

would be the best time to install the external filter (not sure how much of a mess taking off the cooler lines creates but i'd like to minimize the mess if possible)...is this correct?

Next, I assume I replace the 4 quarts of tranny fluid (from the pan drop) with new fluid, make sure the level is correct, check for leaks etc and I'm done for now.... Is this correct?

Now since I have the setup installed I should probably drive it for a while (to mix and filter the old and the new fluid combo) and then do a complete flush and external filter change in say something like 500 miles or so....Is this correct?

Yes, drop pan and change filter.

It takes about 4 quarts to refill.

I would just drive avout 30 min then flush. The flush removes all of the fluid.

Back