tranny issue help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tranny issue help please

tonydp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I have a 2002 v6 work a build date of 02/01 on the door. For the last month the X felt heavy but drove fine. The other day I was taking my son to hockey practice and it lost D. I pulled over and restarted the X and drove in 3.

So now I can drive intermittently in 1-3 but lost D and R.

I have no O/D light or any other dash lights. Fluid was changed about 2 years so and I have 250k km on it. Sounds like a rebuild?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 v6 work a build date of 02/01 on the door. For the last month the X felt heavy but drove fine. The other day I was taking my son to hockey practice and it lost D. I pulled over and restarted the X and drove in 3.

So now I can drive intermittently in 1-3 but lost D and R.

I have no O/D light or any other dash lights. Fluid was changed about 2 years so and I have 250k km on it. Sounds like a rebuild?

If you, or someone else here, can tell which transmission this is, I may have something of a handle on the specific failure. I don't know exactly when they went to the 5R55S or W. imp

2002 was the first year of the 5R55W in the Explorer, your build date tells me its a 2001 which should have the 5R55E. Look at the 10th digit of the vin 1= 2001 2= 2002.

But all that is kind of irrelevant, the no drive or reverse and only moves in the manual ranges tells me the input sprag has failed. This would require it to be rebuilt.

10th digit is a 2. Time to search scrap yards I guess. Transmission on the door says R.

Well I got a tranny install from the wreckers with a year parts and labor for 2k. Hopefully it lasts.

Back